Romford gave Sudbury too much respect says Martin
PUBLISHED: 13:00 14 January 2016
©TGS Photo tgsphoto.co.uk +44 1376 553468
Boro manager disappointed with showing in opening 45 minutes off loss at home to Suds
Romford boss Paul Martin was frustrated with his team’s first half showing as they lost 1-0 at home to Ryman North leaders Sudbury.
Boro were on the back foot for much of the opening 45 minutes, fending off wave after wave of attacks from Suds who only scored once through Jordan Blackwell 10 minutes in.
The second half, though, saw a much improved display from the hosts, but they were unable to find a way back into the match as they fell to a sixth defeat in their last seven matches.
And regardless of their recent form, Martin was frustrated that individual errors again proved fatal to Romford’s hopes of causing an upset.
“It doesn’t matter who you play, you always have a chance of winning — just look at our wins over Hornchurch earlier this season,” said Martin.
“Mistakes were made at the back again, but Sudbury kept the ball very well and that’s why they’re top of the table.
“First half, I think we gave them a bit too much respect and we were a bit edgy, but second half it was a lot better.”
The defeat was also the first time Romford have not scored in the league for 12 matches, last failing to trouble the scorers away to Aveley in October.
Despite that, Romford have struggled to pick up results with just one win in the league over the same run of games.
But Martin was quick to dispell any suggestions his team had been dragged into the battle to survive in the Ryman North, noting Boro had been on a tough run recently.
“The priority is to take points off of the teams around you while performing the best you ca against teams a lot higher up,” he added
“People are talking about us being involved in a relegation battle, but I don’t think we are. You have to understand that we have no budget here, so it’s a hard thing to do every year. We have to be realisitic and we have to make sure we survive before we can get the new stadium built.
“The second half against Sudbury was top drawer and I’ve got six new players in who may well feature on Saturday. If we can get five or six more wins, I’m confident we’ll survive.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.