Romford fall short against Soham Town Rangers

PUBLISHED: 18:30 09 September 2017

Romford goalkeeper Michael Gooch in action (Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Romford goalkeeper Michael Gooch in action (Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Romford 0 Soham Town Rangers 1

Romford fall to their third straight defeat after suffering a 1-0 defeat to fellow Bostik North strugglers Soham Town Rangers.

An early goal from winger Matthew Allan was enough to bag the three points for the visitors and push Boro nearer the relegation zone at Ship Lane.

The first chance of the match fell to Jonathan Nzenga who forced the Soham keeper Joshua Pope to make a save in the first minute when he cut in from the left side and unleashed a shot.

It was the visitors who took an early lead though as Soham’s Allan was gifted a goal in the second minute when Hugo Atkinson and goalkeeper Michael Gooch failed to communicate, almost collided and let the ball go in behind for the winger to slot into the empty net.

Seven minutes later Gooch keep the score at 1-0 as he denied a header from the goalscorer Allan from close range after he was picked by left-back William Gardner.

Neither side created much in the next ten minutes, until Gooch had to pull off yet another huge save as he got across his net to deny striker Rob Mason at the back post, after Joe Carden made a great down the right and picked him out.

Two minutes later the hosts got a chance of their own as Jamie Dicks managed to squeeze his free-kick through the wall and towards the back post, but no one got on the end of it.

It wasn’t long before Soham were pressing forward again as Carden was put through on goal by team-mate Mason, after a great run from Allan got them into the box, but Gooch once again came up trumps before pulling off a second save on the rebound.

The final ten minutes of the first-half were very heated as both teams began to push and shove each other off the ball, but neither side created much.

The second-half continued the same way the first-half finished with both sides battling hard through the middle of the pitch before no chances being created.

It wasn’t until the fifty ninth minute when Soham went close as winger Allan turned on Danny Cossington on the edge of the box but fired his shot wide of the post.

It should have been 2-0 Soham as former Romford player Ashley Bankole makes a run down the right flank and picked out Hobbs who flicked it over the bar from point blank range.

The visitors kept pressing hard and it resulted in Romford’s Tom Vickers going into the book after taking out substitute Gary Cohen on his first touch of the game in the seventy third minute.

Four minutes later Romford created a golden chance of their own as Nzenga pulled off a rocket shot that went flying over the bar after substitute Sam Mzemba got straight into the thick of it and won an aerial battle, flicking it on to the winger a minute after coming on.

Soham held strong and saw off the game by holding onto the possession well in the final ten minutes.

Romford: Gooch, Atkinson, Burt-Allen, Cossington, Vickers, Dicks (Mzemba 76), Adebayo (Olukga 65), Giwa, Reynolds, Clarke (Jeakings 65), Nzenga.

Unused subs: Ihmail, Reynolds.

Soham Town: Pope, Bankole, Gardner, Norman, Buddie, Endacott, Carden, Mason (Cohen 71), Hobbs (Mochalski 84), Allan.

Unused subs: Russell, Tricks, Conway.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder