Romford draw thriller at the Millers

PUBLISHED: 18:09 14 March 2015 | UPDATED: 18:10 14 March 2015

Romford manager Paul Martin (pic: George Phillipou/TGSPHOTO)

Romford manager Paul Martin (pic: George Phillipou/TGSPHOTO)

George Phillipou/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football L

Ryman North: Aveley 4 Romford 4

A late Aveley equaliser prevented Romford from taking all three points in a pulsating 4-4 draw.

The visitors had made four changes from their 3-1 win over Chatham with captain Jack Barry making his first start following suspension.

Boro took an early lead in the eighth minute when Sam Kemp’s cross was headed onto the crossbar by Joe Scott but rebounded off the back of goalkeeper James Marrable into the net.

They should have been further in front eight minutes later when Abs Seymour’s free kick found Nathan Cooper who forced a great low save from Marrable.

Both teams were failing to create clear cut opportunities in the opening 25 minutes with the quality of the final balls allowing the defences to easily intercept.

When Aveley were able to produce a worthy cross it paid dividends as they drew level with17 minutes remaining in the half.

Ahmed Deen’s free kick from wide right found the head of Spencer Harrison in the area to equalise for the hosts.

Harrison made it two in two minutes when Jack Stevenson’s free kick was headed back across goal by Robbie Farrell for the centre-back to tap home from close range.

The home side were dominating proceedings but Romford nearly drew level fortuitously when Seymour’s corner curled towards goal with Marrable tipping the ball over the bar.

Aveley moved further in front three minutes before the break when James Ishmail fouled Stevenson in the box before the home player netted the resulting penalty.

The visitors nearly pulled one back less than a minute later when a spot of ping pong in the box ended with Jack Barry heading onto the bar and over.

But on the stroke of halftime they reduced the deficit to one when Callum Ibe’s cross from the left evaded everyone apart from Nick Reynolds at the far post who tucked it home.

Five minutes into the second half a goalmouth scramble saw the ball fall to Loui Hazelwood who struck six yards out with Marrable again saving.

From Seymour’s subsequent corner Harrison handled the ball and Hazelwood netted the spot kick.

Boro were having the best of the chances and with 65 minutes gone Seymour found Scott in space 20 yards out but the striker could only drag his shot wide of the post.

But two minutes later the comeback was complete when the returning Barry headed home Callum Ibe’s cross from the right to put his side back in front.

Romford kept up the pressure following the goal but against the run of play Petrit Elbi headed home Lemar Reynolds header to pull Aveley level with five minutes to go.

Both sides failed in there attempt for a winner with Boro’s fantastic comeback eventually only resulting in one point.

Romford: Omand, Kemp, McLeavy, Ishmail, Cooper, J. Barry (C. Barry 75), Hazelwood, Seymour, Reynolds, Scott, Ibe

Referee: S Bates

Attendance: 87

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder