Romford boss relishes derby win

PUBLISHED: 08:18 27 August 2013 | UPDATED: 08:18 27 August 2013

Romford manager Paul Martin (right) and assistant Mark Lord (Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Romford manager Paul Martin (right) and assistant Mark Lord (Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League images are subject to DataCo Licencing restrictions

It was coming says Martin

Romford manager Paul Martin was pleased his side got the luck their performance deserved after ending a run of three Ryman One North games without a victory by defeating Thurrock 3-1 at Ship Lane.

The fixture was a home game on paper for tenants Boro and Martin admitted the context around the whole match against their landlords made it a sweet victory.

He said: “It was coming. We have been unlucky and just haven’t been taking our chances and today we took our chances.

“We had our luck a couple of times with them hitting the woodwork, but that is expected in games.

“We know they have a decent budget and they have a very good manager, an experienced manager and they can pull players in from all over the place, where as I can’t. I have to pull them in from parks.

“That makes wins better for you as a manager when you haven’t got a budget and you are giving youngsters a chance.“

The experienced Paul Clayton sealed victory for Romford from the penalty spot, after young strikers Lewis Francis and Tom Richardson had both got on the scoresheet in the first half to secure a crucial three points.

Victory did not look likely after five minutes though, as Thurrock took an early lead through Charlie Stimson.

He beat the offside trap to receive a pass from Lewis Perkins, and after rounding Aaron Omand, made it 1-0.

The ‘visitors’ controlled the opening 20 minutes but Boro’s front three were starting to link up well and it wasn’t long before two of them found the net.

Francis had missed a decent opportunity moments earlier but made up for it in the 26th minute by tapping home the equaliser.

Abs Seymour’s shot from outside the area appeared to be going wide, but Thurrock’s keeper Reece Ottley parried the shot out and Francis was on hand to score.

Two minutes later and Romford were in front thanks to a sumptuous strike from Richardson.

The ball bounced up perfectly for the ex-Thurrock player and he thundered a shot past Ottley from inside the area to prove a point to his former club.

Thurrock were inches away from equalising at the start of the second half as Ben Smith and Joel Nouble hit the woodwork.

After weathering that storm, Romford had the chance to seal the match in the 70th minute as substitute Ryan Imbert was fouled by Daniel Rumens inside the area.

Stand-in captain Clayton took the responsibility and finished with aplomb by firing the penalty into the roof of the net.

And after players from both sides had to be pulled apart in a brief skirmish, victory moved Boro up to 14th in the table ahead of their FA Cup preliminary round tie at Hadleigh United this weekend.

Romford: Omand, Woodward, Oates, Truman, Clayton, Dicks (Ishmail 70), Norris, Seymour, Smith, Francis (Sammut 70), Richardson (Imbert 56).

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder