Purcell pair earns Hornchurch point

PUBLISHED: 17:13 26 August 2013 | UPDATED: 17:13 26 August 2013

Hornchurch striker George Purcell was on target again at Billericay (Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Hornchurch striker George Purcell was on target again at Billericay (Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League images are subject to DataCo Licencing restrictions

Ryman Premier: Billericay 2 Hornchurch 2

George Purcell’s double helped Hornchurch hit back from two goals down to earn a share of the spoils in a spicy derby at New Lodge.

But both sides finished the game with ten men, after Ricky Sappleton and Tambeson Eyong saw red either side of the break, as honours finished even.

Purcell had the first chance of note on eight minutes, but fired over, and Ade Yusuff was booked soon after for a late tackle.

Inigo Echepare was called into action midway through the half to deny Billericay, before Derek Duncan fired a free-kick over for Urchins.

Ricky Sappleton’s speculative effort flew wide for the hosts before he had his name taken by referee Neil Davies.

But Billericay broke the deadlock on 33 minutes when good work by Dave Collis set up Sappleton, whose shot on the turn beat the dive of Echepare.

Purcell was off target moments later, before Sappleton saw red just before half time, picking up a second yellow card after getting involved in a melee.

Rickie Hayles had his name taken before Urchins went close to levelling soon after the restart as Chris Bourne’s lob came back off the crossbar.

But after Bourne fired another attempt over from 20 yards, ten-man Billericay doubled their advantage on 52 minutes through Javlon Campbell.

Hornchurch halved the deficit on the hour through Purcell, who struck again five minutes later to square matters.

But Rook was then booked and the visitors were reduced to 10 men themselves when substitute Eyong, starting his campaign late having only just returned from a five-match suspension from last season, was given his marching orders.

Bourne was also booked before Urchins had a chance to win it on 78 minutes as a Hayles long throw was cleared to Purcell, who saw his hopes of a hat-trick fade as he fired over.

Hornchurch: Echepare, Coyne (Eyong 49), Bentley, Hayles, Styles, Curley, Duncan, May (Spencer 65), Yusuff (Rook 46), Bourne.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder