Pre-season: Mixed results for Hornchurch in three-team event

PUBLISHED: 18:46 21 July 2018 | UPDATED: 18:46 21 July 2018

Nathan Livings of Hornchurch (pic George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

Nathan Livings of Hornchurch (pic George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Hornchurch had mixed results in their three-team tournament against Cheshunt and Enfield Town at Theobalds Lane on Saturday.

Cheshunt 2 Hornchurch 0

The first match kicked off at 12.30pm with the temperature touching 25 degrees, with many of the Hornchurch following delayed by traffic congestion in the centre of Cheshunt.

Hornchurch looked confident as they came forward at the start, with two crosses from Dave Collis from the right and George Saunders from the left, going across the goal with no one able to get the final touch.

Another Saunders cross from the left found Connor Hogan but he put his shot wide of the post. At the other end Jason Hallett had a good opportunity but placed his shot wide from inside the area.

Cheshunt took the lead on 20 minutes when Jordan Clark slipped as he was about to clear, allowing the home winger to square the ball into the middle for an unmarked Ricky Sappleton to place into the net.

On 25 minutes a Callum Chafer clearance only went as far as the nearest Cheshunt forward, but his first time return shot went over the bar, whilst Saunders went close at the other end with a fine shot that deflected off the goalkeeper’s foot for a corner.

A shot from trialist Matt Teor went out for a corner, from which the ball fell to Nathan Livings on the edge of the area, his shot rising over the bar.

A Leon McKenzie lob beat the keeper but went over the bar, and for a time play was confined to midfield, until Saunders was again unlucky with a hard shot that went narrowly wide. Chafer was called into action to save a shot from close range.

As Hornchurch applied more pressure, Saunders again went close and Theo Fairweather-Johnson turned sharply and sent a shot a fraction too high.

As the match entered stoppage time Chafer was injured as he dived to save from Hallett, conceding a penalty and a yellow card in the process. Sappleton calmly slotted the penalty home for the second goal, with no time left for Hornchurch to come back.

Hornchurch: Chafer, Collis, Porter, Livings, Lee, Clark, Hogan, Fairweather-Johnson, McKenzie, Saunders, Teor.

Enfield Town 1 Hornchurch 2

The second match kicked off at 2.15pm with the temperature now touching 29 degrees, but, worryingly, Callum Chafer was unable to take his place in goal, with Dave Collis deputising.

Hornchurch then lost Alex Bentley to an injury, with Jay Porter coming on in his place.

Urchins got off to a good start, though, with Sean Marks heading home from close range after two minutes, but Enfield quickly realised Jimmy McFarlane’s men were without a recognised goalkeeper, and sent in speculative shots from long range, none of which troubled Collis.

But on 12 minutes Collis was beaten by fine shot from Billy Bricknell to draw level.

Hornchurch weathered some heavy pressure from Enfield, before losing Bentley, but Porter quickly created danger with a cross from the left that found Nathan Cooper, whose header was well saved by the Enfield keeper.

Theo Fairweather-Johnson replaced trialist James Turvey at half time, and 10 minutes into the second half Porter powered down the left, cut inside and squared the ball to Marks who found the net from close range, only for the goal to be disallowed for offside.

Enfield were now very much on the defensive and the decisive goal came when Dexter Peter volleyed powerfully home from a Porter free kick.

Enfield tried hard to get an equaliser but found the Hornchurch defence in excellent form, with Collis taking anything that came his way, and slowing the game down as the match went into stoppage time.

And in the five added minutes, after the Enfield keeper needed attention and was then replaced, they did not offer any threat to the Hornchurch goal.

Hornchurch: Collis, Dunne, Bentley (Porter 17), Cooper, Peter, Hursit, Spence, Coker, Marks, Purcell, Turvey (Fairweather-Johnson 46).

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder