Pre-season: Hornchurch 3 Dulwich Hamlet 0

PUBLISHED: 09:30 25 July 2018

Leon Mckenzie netted for Hornchurch against Dulwich Hamlet (pic George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

Leon Mckenzie netted for Hornchurch against Dulwich Hamlet (pic George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Hornchurch proved too hot for Dulwich Hamlet in a hastily-arranged friendly at Bridge Avenue on Tuesday.

The south London club requested the fixture, which began in temperatures of 30 degrees, which only dropped to 26 by full time.

In a lively opening 10 minutes visiting keeper Amadou Tanagra saved well from Theo Fairweather-Johnson, and Dean, on loan from Charlton Athletic, made two good saves from Dipo Akinyemi.

Tangara saved from Lewwis Spence, but the home pressure was rewarded when Hornchurch took the lead on 29 minutes.

Dean’s lengthy clearances had already caused the visiting defence a number of problems, but when he punted the ball fully 80 yards into the Hamlet penalty area, George Saunders, who last season played for Kelvedon Hatch, dispossessed the defender and slotted the ball home with Tangara scrambling back in an attempt to save.

It could have been 2-0 three minutes later, when Saunders was brought down in midfield and Dave Collis fired in the free-kick which saw Tangara making an excellent save.

Dulwich rarely offered a threat, despite some good moves stemming from Dipo Akuyemi, but it took a good tackle by Nathan Cooper to deny Hamlet as their forward attempted to find a way through.

Two minutes from half time, Hamlet missed their best chance of the match, when the ball was blasted high over the bar from close range.

George Purcell came on for the second half and he made an immediate impact, firing narrowly over after good approach work by Sean Marks.

Bradley Warner replaced Saunders, who had been a constant worry to the Hamlet defence, and was instrumental in the second goal, when he sent in a dangerous free-kick from the left and the ball rebounded off the defensive wall back to him to float a centre onto the head of Marks to score.

This proved to be the last contribution by Marks, as he was replaced by Leon McKenzie, who was quickly in action, playing a square ball to Purcell, whose hard first time drive hit a defender.

With Hornchurch now in total control, McKenzie went close with a header from a Jamie Hursit corner and a Warner free-kick rose too high and went over the bar.

But five minutes from time came a fitting finale, when Dexter Peter, on for Jay Porter, squared the ball to McKenzie, who turned sharply and volleyed the ball hard into the net for the third goal.

Hornchurch: Dean, Collis (Hursit 46), Porter (Peter 65), Clark, Cooper, Lee, Hogan (Coker 56), Spence (Livings 46), Marks (McKenzie 61), Fairweather-Johnson (Purcell 46), Saunders (Warner 58).

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder