Penalty pain for Hornchurch

PUBLISHED: 22:31 16 September 2014 | UPDATED: 22:31 16 September 2014

Hornchurch manager Jim McFarlane (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Hornchurch manager Jim McFarlane (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League

FA Cup: East Thurrock 2 Hornchurch 2 (aet, East Thurrock win 4-3 on pens)

George Purcell netted again for Hornchurch (Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)George Purcell netted again for Hornchurch (Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Hornchurch crashed out of the FA Cup on penalties at Rookery Hill after Junior Dadson and Tobi Joseph missed from the spot.

George Purcell and Martin Tuohy had twice given Urchins the lead in their first qualifying round reply, only for Rocks to hit back on both occasions.

And although former Urchin Lewis Smith saw his penalty saved by Sam Mott during the shoot-out, the home side converted their four other attempts as Dadson and Joseph failed from 12 yards to bank the £3,000 prize money and a trip to Met Police, who beat South Park 3-0 in their own replay.

Rocks had the first chance with barely a minute played, but Mott saved well from Smith.

And the visitors opened the scoring on three minutes when the ball broke kindly for Purcell and he sidefooted home for his third goal in three matches.

Phil Starkey fired over when Junior Luke headed a Chris Bourne cross into his path on seven minutes and Purcell sent a free-kick whistling just past the post moments later as Urchins looked to quickly double their advantage.

Elliot Styles had to be alert to block Smith at the other end, before Luke saw his header well saved by David Hughes.

Luke then played in Tuohy midway through the first half and although he clipped the ball past the onrushing Hughes, a home defender got back to clear.

Rocks were then awarded a penalty on 26 minutes, when Hornchurch players felt it had been a clean tackle on Smith, and the spot-kick was tucked away to square matters.

The equalising goal gave the home side renewed confidence and Emmanuel Osei sent a shot on the turn over the bar on 35 minutes.

But Urchins held out until the interval and both sides created chances to take the lead in a frantic start to the second half.

Sam Higgins was booked for a foul on Luke just before the hour mark and Urchins edged back in front soon after when a throw-in by Luke was flicked on by Styles and headed home by Tuohy.

Hughes kept out Frankie Curley’s attempted lob from Alex Bentley’s cross on 65 minutes to deny the visitors a quick third.

And Rocks were back on terms for a second time on 71 minutes when the visitors failed to deal with a corner and David Bryant poked home.

That sent the tie into extra time and the home side began the brighter, putting a good chance over the bar after just four minutes, but Hornchurch’s Dadson ran through at the start of the second period only to shoot at Hughes.

The visitors had a let-off with nine minutes left when Rocks put a great chance wide from three yards and Hornchurch boss Jimmy McFarlane made his third change soon after, sending Joseph on for Luke.

Urchins went close to a winner in the 115th minute when the ball dropped in the box for Curley, who saw his curling shot skim the crossbar.

But Rocks then saw captain Tom Stephen fire just wide with only two minutes remaining before the dreaded shoot-out.

Purcell cancelled out the first successful Rocks kick, before Smith saw his effort saved by Mott.

Elyon Marshall-Katung netted the second Hornchurch effort, but after the home side squared it up Dadson had his spot-kick saved by Hughes and Rocks went 3-2 up with their fourth attempt.

Bentley kept his cool to convert the next Hornchurch penalty, but Rocks netted again to leave it all on Joseph and his miss sent Urchins out.

Hornchurch: Mott, Homans, Bentley, Styles, Beckles, Curley, Luke (Joseph 112), Starkey, Tuohy (Marshall-Katung 83), Purcell, Bourne (Dadson 75). Unused subs: Griffins, Nduakulu, Chafer, Hursit.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder