McFarlane’s Hornchurch bow out of FA Cup after brave effort at Wood

PUBLISHED: 20:00 24 October 2015

Hornchurch manager Jim McFarlane (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Hornchurch manager Jim McFarlane (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 8450 946026

FA Cup fourth qualifying round: Boreham Wood 2 Hornchurch 1

Hornchurch bowed out of the FA Cup after pushing National League side Boreham Wood all the way at Meadow Park in the fourth qualifying round of the competition.

Urchins goalkeeper Sam Mott saved a first half penalty, but the hosts came in only one up with the Bridge Avenue side more than holding their own.

Jimmy McFarlane’s men pushed to get back on level terms in the second period, but conceded a second late on before George Purcell pulled one back.

Wood, three divisions above the Ryman North outfit, held out to book their spot in the first round of the cup, but Urchins could be proud of their efforts.

Hornchurch made the worst possible start at Meadow Park after a penalty was awarded against them after just six minutes, but Mott made a fine save.

Urchins began to settle after that and David Knight fizzed an effort wide after good work from Joey May before the Hertfordshire club enjoyed a sustained spell of pressure.

McFarlane’s team survived, however, before the hosts stepped it up a gear again towards the end of the half with Clovis Kamdjo testing Mott.

He managed to save, but was beaten in the 37th minute when Charlie MacDonald slotted home. Fortunately for the visitors, it was offside.

A minute later and Hornchurch did trail as Mustafa Tiryaki smashed in a brilliant volley across goal to put Wood ahead.

Purcell responded for Urchins and forced the home goalkeeper to make a smart save four minutes before the break, but it remained 1-0 at half time.

McFarlane’s team talk at the interval appeared to do the trick as the away side began the second period excellently.

First May had a volley cleared before Billy Coyne’s great run and shot hit the upright as Hornchurch piled on the pressure.

Purcell went close again before the hosts hit back and Mott was forced to save a Tiryaki snapshot.

Joe Devera was booked in the 57th minute for bringing down Purcell and from the resulting free kick he went close.

The ball was curled in and fell to the Hornchurch forward, but he sliced wide and the chance was gone.

Wood should have doubled their lead with 17 minutes remaining when MacDonald went through and lobbed over Mott, but his effort landed on the roof of the net.

Alex Bentley and Calvin Poku were then introduced after that as Urchins pushed to find one more opportunity with the game going into the final exchanges.

Junior Luke fired over the crossbar with six minutes left after a fine run by Tobi Joseph and that was Hornchurch’s last chance to level.

Wood confirmed their spot in the next round when Anthony Jeffrey was picked out in space and managed to fire past Mott on the stroke of full time.

There was still time for Purcell to riffle in a trademark free kick deep into stoppage time, but it came too late.

It was a valiant effort by Hornchurch, however, who took higher league opposition all the way and did the Ryman North proud.

Next up for Urchins is a derby match with Romford at Bridge Avenue on Tuesday night.

Hornchurch: Mott, Coyne (Bentley 79), Luke, Styles, Chouman, May (Dove 90), Thompson (Poku 81), Collis, Knight, Purcell, Joseph.

Unused substitutes: Chafer, Poku, Smith, Dove, Bentley, Baker.

Attendance: 307.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder