Bostik Premier: Hornchurch 1 Lewes 5

PUBLISHED: 09:45 18 October 2018

Hornchurch striker George Purcell (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Hornchurch striker George Purcell (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Hornchurch suffered back-to-back league defeats on Tuesday after a heavy home reverse to Lewes.

It was the Urchins first home defeat in the league all season after an impressive start to the campaign.

And the home side got off to a poor start as the visitors struck inside the first three minutes when Leon Redwood’s effort took a wicked deflection off Leon Smith to end up in the back of the net.

Hornchurch responded quickly after some great play on the edge of the Lewes box between Tobi Coker and Leon McKenzie saw Coker shooting to force a save from Lewis Carey.

It was one of his several fantastic saves throughout the 90 minutes as Carey was called upon again soon after, denying the in-form talisman George Purcell.

But from that Hornchurch chance there was a quick counter-attack from Lewes who forced a corner, which Urchins failed to deal and saw Steve Brinkhurt double the lead for the visitors.

Hornchurch seeked an opportunity to get back into the game after some nice football from Coker and Purcell saw his effort smash the side netting. But the hosts were struggling to deal with the pace of Lewes and a low cross was converted by Omarr Lawson to give the visitors a three-goal lead before the break.

Hornchurch boss Jimmy McFarlane had to make changes in order to get back into the game and did so with George Saunders and Connor Hogan replacing Jamie Hursit and Coker.

The substitutes looked to have changed the pace of the game after Saunders broke down the wing to send in a teasing ball which Sean Marks couldn’t quite get on the end of.

Hornchurch began to pile the pressure on Lewes and were rewarded for their hard work after being awarded a penalty, which Purcell coolly converted past Carey to get his side back in the game.

Plenty of action was still to come as substitute Saunders saw an effort deflected over the bar and the game was now end-to-end with Hornchurch forcing Carey to make plenty of saves.

The best chance went begging, though, when Urchins found some space and cut the ball back to midfielder Brad Warner, who struck the ball straight at Carey.

Hornchurch were punished moments later as Lewes put the game out of sight when an exquisite crossfield pass found winger Ronnie Colon, who weaved his way through a jaded home defence to fire home.

And although Urchins tried to get a consolation goal, Lewes goalkeeper Carey was equal to it yet again and it was the visitors who finished the match off when netting a fifth in injury time through Jonte Smith.

Hornchurch: Chafer, Hursit (Hogan 46), Porter, Lee, Clark, Smith, Warner, Spence, Marks, Purcell (Boakye-Yiadom 81), Coker (Saunders 46).

Attendance: 187.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder