Hornchurch secure promotion to Bostik Premier League with Witham Town victory

PUBLISHED: 16:50 14 April 2018 | UPDATED: 18:02 14 April 2018

Bradley Warner of Hornchurch scores the opening goal and celebrates at Witham Town (pic George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

Bradley Warner of Hornchurch scores the opening goal and celebrates at Witham Town (pic George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Bostik North: Witham Town 1 Hornchurch 6

Hornchurch secured promotion to the Bostik Premier League with a comfortable 6-1 victory against mid-table Witham Town.

And Urchins went one step closer to being crowned Bostik North champions as they sealed yet another three points thanks to a brace from Bradley Warner and goals from Elliot Styles, George Purcell, Alex Bentley and Christian Assombalonga at Spa Road.

Manager Colin McBride made two changes to the line-up that sealed a 1-0 victory against Heybridge Swifts last weekend with Olumide Oluwatimilehin and Leon McKenzie coming in for Sean Roberts and Assombalonga – the later dropping to the bench.

Jed Chouman returned to the match day squad and was named on the bench after not featuring since January 15 in their 2-1 victory against Haringey Borough due to injury.

Witham got the first chance of the match as Corey Davidson whipped in a free-kick which found Lewis Payne in the box but he sent it way over the bar in the eighth minute.

The hosts kept pushing forward once again thanks to Davidson who linked up well with striker Ryan Imbert, who went for goal but his shot was blocked by defender Kenzer Lee.

Ten minutes later against the run of the play the visitors broke the deadlock thanks to Warner, who slotted home after Connor Hogan failed to take the chance.

In the 31st minute Witham had a golden chance as an incoming corner hit a few heads and almost found its way in but was cleared by the Hornchurch defence.

On the stroke of half-time Hornchurch doubled their lead when captain Styles rose above his marker and headed home a Purcell corner.

After a quiet start to the second half, in the 59th minute Witham clawed one back to reduce Hornchurch’s lead as a ball in from John Watson found Liam Whipps who guided it home at the far post.

Two minutes later Purcell was brought down in the box and Hornchurch were awarded a penalty.

The striker stepped up and drilled a shot into the bottom right from the spot to restore their two-goal cushion.

Witham got a penalty of their own in the 71st minute and it was Davidson who stepped up to take it, but he was denied by keeper Sam Mott who steered it clear.

Back down the other end a minute later a long ball was chased by Hogan, and the midfielder beat the keeper to the ball, before it fell to substitute Bentley who sidefooted into the empty net to make it 4-1.

Hornchurch continued to run riot as Purcell broke clear down the right before picking out Warner with a cross and the attacker headed it into the back of the net for his second of the game in the 80th minute.

In added time substitute Assombalonga completed the tally with Hornchurch’s sixth, before the promotion party started.

Witham Town: Mason, Owusu, Whipps, Gyebi, Payne (Corlett 79), Kemsley, Mallett, Watson, Imbert (Gordon 68), Ronto (Osadebe 80), Davidson

Unused subs: Robinson, Wilson.

Hornchurch: Mott, Hursit, Porter, Lee, Cooper, Styles, Hogan (Livings 74), Oluwatimilehin (Bentley 64), McKenzie (Assombalonga 62), Purcell, Warner

Unused subs: Livings, Chouman, Collis.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder