Hornchurch’s trip to Margate fails to provide joy

PUBLISHED: 10:00 25 March 2015

AFC Hornchurch manager Jimmy McFarlane (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

AFC Hornchurch manager Jimmy McFarlane (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League

Ryman Premier: Margate 5 Hornchurch 1

Hornchurch's Callum Chafer (pic: Robert Craven).Hornchurch's Callum Chafer (pic: Robert Craven).

Hornchurch were blown away last night by a stunning first half performance from Margate as they fell to a 5-1 Ryman Premier defeat that drop them back into the relegation places.

Jimmy McFarlane’s team conceded after just five minutes and they went on to ship three more goals inside the opening half an hour to come in four down at the break.

A spirited second half display from Urchins should have brought more reward, but they couldn’t make the most of their chances.

Kieron Bishop did pull one back, but Margate added another on the stroke of full time to consign the Bridge Avenue outfit to a four-goal loss.

McFarlane handed a league debut to young goalkeeper Callum Chafer, with first-choice Sam Mott suspended, and new signing Danny Woodards, formerly of Tranmere Rovers, also made his debut.

Margate started with great intent, though, and opened the scoring after five minutes when Zac Attwood powered home from 14-yards.

Freddie Ladapo calmly rolled past Chafer 10 minutes later to make it 2-0 and suggest it was going to be a long night for Hornchurch.

Attwood nearly made it three shortly afterwards, but Chafer dived to his left and tipped wide. However it was brief respite as Ben Gerring slotted home to make it 3-0 with just 26 minutes played.

Former Urchins favourite Tambeson Eyong concluded a stunning 30-minute spell for the hosts when his long range effort took a deflection and beat Chafer.

Luke Moore went close twice before the break, firing over the bar and hitting the post, but it remained just 4-0 at half time.

Chafer made two saves from Moore after the interval before McFarlane’s team fought their way back into the match.

Bishop smashed an shot against the bar after swivelling in the box and Chris Bourne also hit the roof of the net.

But Hornchurch did manage to reduce the arrears in the 65th minute when Bishop beat the offside trap and slotted past Nikki Bull.

Danny Johnson struck a fine effort towards the top corner moments later, but Bull was equal to his drive.

It was then Chafer’s turn to take centre stage as he brilliantly prevented Ladapo adding to his tally by blocking his close range effort.

He also superbly tipped Attwood’s dipping volley over the bar, but the Margate forward was to have the last laugh as he finished off a nice move on the stroke of full time to consign Urchins to a four-goal defeat.

Victories elsewhere for Witham Town and Harrow Borough also ensured Hornchurch drop back into the bottom four.

Hornchurch: Chafer, Coyne, Bourne, Styles, Roast, Curley, Johnson, Woodards (Tuohy 79), Bishop (Burton 84), Purcell, Gogo (Homans 46).

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder