Hornchurch pay the penalty

PUBLISHED: 18:33 10 January 2015 | UPDATED: 18:33 10 January 2015

Hornchurch manager Jim McFarlane. (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Hornchurch manager Jim McFarlane. (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League

Ryman Premier: Hornchurch 0 Wingate 1

Hornchurch saw their nine-game home unbeaten record brought to an end on a frustrating afternoon at Bridge Avenue.

Urchins were made to pay the penalty as David Knight netted the only goal of the game from the spot, just before half time after a foul by Elliot Styles.

And they will look to bounce back when they visit Ryman North outfit Redbridge in the Essex Senior Cup quarter-finals on Tuesday.

The home side forced a couple of early corners, before Shulton fired wide of the post for Wingate.

Billy Roast headed wide from Joey May’s free-kick midway through the first half, after a foul on Junior Luke, who saw an effort blocked by Hewitt on 29 minutes and then sent another high over the crossbar.

Mott saved well from Shulton as Wingate got their first real sight of goal on 33 minutes, but Hornchurch’s Martin Tuohy was denied by a block at the other end.

The decisive moment of the match came on 40 minutes when Styles was adjudged to have fouled his man in the box and Knight stepped up to convert the spot-kick.

But Mott kept Urchins in the hunt with a fine save from Knight just before the hour mark, with Laney firing the loose ball over the crossbar.

Urchins boss Jimmy McFarlane had made two changes by that point, sending Tobi Joseph and new signing Kieran Bishop – who joined in midweek from Ware – on for Chris Bourne and Tuohy, respectively, early in the second half.

But he saw 15-goal striker George Purcell fire over from May’s corner on 64 minutes before making his final change, with Danny Johnson replacing May.

Wingate should have doubled their lead midway through the half when Laney teed up Sogbanmu, who sidefooted over from close range.

But one goal proved enough for the visitors as Billy Coyne fired a late free-kick wide for Urchins, who tasted defeat on their own turf in the league for the first time since their 1-0 defeat against Enfield Town on October 25.

Hornchurch: Mott, Coyne, Bentley, Styles, Roast, Curley, Luke, May (Johnson 65), Tuohy (Bishop 56), Purcell, Bourne (Joseph 50). Unused subs: Smith, Gogo.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder