Hornchurch earn a win at Ware

PUBLISHED: 19:23 11 March 2017 | UPDATED: 19:23 11 March 2017

Leon McKenzie of Hornchurch rises with Anthony Furlonge of Ware (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Leon McKenzie of Hornchurch rises with Anthony Furlonge of Ware (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Ware 0 Hornchurch 2

Hornchurch moved back up to third place in Ryman North with victory over struggling Ware at Wodson Park.

A pair of first-half goals proved enough for Urchins to claim the points and climb above Thurrock, following their home defeat against Norwich United.

And it ensured Jimmy McFarlane’s men bounced back quickly following their 2-1 home defeat against Cheshunt a week earlier.

There were two enforced changes in the Hornchurch line-up, as Gary Cohen and Nathan Cooper were missing due to injuries suffered against the Ambers.

That meant Abs Seymour came straight back into the side on his return from Billericay, having netted twice in 11 appearances for the Blues, while John Easterford was given his debut after signing from Great Wakering, having also played for Canvey and Concord.

But on a sloping and very soft pitch, Ware had two early opportunities, as Sam Mott saved from Jonathan Nzengo and Alex Bentley cleared a goalbound shot from Gareth Price.

On five minutes, a long ball found Leon McKenzie clear, only to put his shot wide of the near post as a defender closed in.

Ten minutes later it was McKenzie again, in a similar position, gaining possession from a long clearance, and this time his shot beat former Urchins keeper Darren Behcet, only to curve wide of the far post.

Ware were now having to defend desperately, and although they survived a Teddy Nesbitt corner, they fell behind on 20 minutes when Mott’s lengthy kick was flicked on by Martin Tuohy to McKenzie, who made no mistake with a well-placed shot for his 34th goal of the season.

McKenzie was then called into action at the other end, when he headed away an inswinging corner from Murat Karagul, and ott saved well from Jonathan Nzengo, turning the ball around the post, before Easterford headed the corner to safety.

A second goal was always beckoning, and it came when Abs Thompson won a corner, which Nesbitt sent to the far post, where Kenzer Lee was waiting to head downwards and into the net.

It could have been 3-0 a minute from the interval when Bentley sent McKenzie away on the right, but his cross eluded Ross Wall and Tuohy before going behind.

The second half was only a minute old when a Tuohy centre was deflected away for a corner.

And Tuohy was also involved in the next notable attack, but was fouled 10 yards outside the area and Nesbitt’s free-kick went across goal with no one able to get the final touch.

Ware had rarely threatened, but they went close when Josh Oyibo fired wide from a corner, and five minutes later Mott saved well from Oyibo.

Inbetween times, Thompson had made a penetrating run along the right and his low cross was turned around the post for a corner.

Tobi Joseph replaced Thompson with 20 minutes to play and it was his pass that found McKenzie on the edge of the area. After beating Marcus Rose, McKenzie fired in a hard shot which Behcet was just able to get a hand on, to deflect around the post.

Usman Adeniji replaced McKenzie soon after and Hornchurch again went close to increasing their lead as Wall moved in from the left, but Jack Fowler blocked the shot at the expense of a corner.

Nesbitt floated the ball towards the far post, where Joseph headed a fraction too high.

Ayrton Coley came on for Tuohy in the closing minutes and Hornchurch had no difficulty in playing out the time remaining, although their two-goal margin did not reflect their superiority on the day.

Hornchurch: Mott, Bentley, Nesbitt, Lee, Easterford, Chouman, Thompson (Joseph 70), Seymour, McKenzie (Adeniji 76), Wall, Tuohy (Coley 86). Unused subs: Da Cruz, Hussain.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder