Hornchurch cup hopes ended

PUBLISHED: 09:16 25 February 2015 | UPDATED: 09:16 25 February 2015

Matt Fry scores the first goal for Concord against Hornchurch (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Matt Fry scores the first goal for Concord against Hornchurch (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League

Essex Senior Cup: Hornchurch 0 Concord 2

Frustration for Junior Luke of Hornchurch (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)Frustration for Junior Luke of Hornchurch (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Hornchurch saw their hopes of a place in the final of the Essex Senior Cup shattered by holders Concord at Bridge Avenue last night.

The Conference South visitors, managed by former Urchins midfielder Danny Cowley, broke the deadlock just before the hour when Matt Fry headed home and sealed their progress late on when substitute Gary Ogilvie skipped past Sam Mott and fired home.

Defeat leaves Jimmy McFarlane’s men to focus on their battle for Ryman Premier Division survival, with a crunch clash at lowly Bury up next on Saturday.

The home side went close after only three minutes as George Purcell forced a good early save from Josh Vickers.

Danny Johnson of Hornchurch challenges Lewis Taaffe of Concord (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)Danny Johnson of Hornchurch challenges Lewis Taaffe of Concord (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Purcell was just wide of the target with a shot on the turn on 13 minutes and Urchins enjoyed a good spell of pressure around the half-hour mark, with Billy Coyne firing a free-kick over following a foul on Danny Johnson.

Concord were denied by Johnson’s block soon after, but Hornchurch had the best chance before the break as Coyne’s excellent delivery was headed over by Martin Tuohy.

Play swung from end to end at the start of the second half, without either side creating any notable chances.

But Concord made the breakthrough on 58 minutes when Fry nodded past Mott from close range.

The visitors should have doubled their lead almost immediately, but Steve Cawley volleyed wide from 10 yards.

McFarlane made three changes in a bid to get back on terms, but it was a Concord substitute who had the final say, after Purcell had fired a free-kick straight at Vickers, as Ogilvie ran onto a ball over the top and sealed victory.

Concord now await the winners of the other semi-final tie between Aveley and Billericay.

Hornchurch: Mott, Homans, Coyne (Scott 82), Styles, Johnson, Joseph, Bishop (Gogo 74), May, Tuohy, Purcell, Luke (Nwachuku 61). Unused subs: Burton, Chafer.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder