Hornchurch boss McFarlane happy with Lewes point

PUBLISHED: 10:25 14 August 2014 | UPDATED: 10:25 14 August 2014

Martin Tuohy netted in Hornchurch's 2-2 draw  at Lewes. Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO

Martin Tuohy netted in Hornchurch's 2-2 draw at Lewes. Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO

Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League images are subject to DataCo Licencing restrictions

Hornchurch manager Jimmy McFarlane was relieved his side are up and running in the Ryman Premier despite letting a 2-0 lead slip at Lewes last night.

Omar Beckles and Martin Tuohy put the Urchins in front at the Dripping Pan, only for the Sussex hosts to pull one back through Nicky Wheeler, before Luke Blewden slotted in a penalty a minute from time.

And while McFarlane was a tad disappointed not to come away with all three points, he was much more content with the performance in comparison to Saturday’s 1-0 loss at East Thurrock United.

“I asked for a performance and that’s what I got,” said McFarlane.

“I would have taken a point before the game and although I am a little disappointed to not have the three points after getting ourselves in a good position, at least we are up and running.

“If we play like we did last night most of the season then we will win more games then we will lose.”

The season has only just begun but McFarlane was already disappointed with the performance of the officials.

He believed the Urchins had a perfectly good goal disallowed through Elliot Styles, but felt the referee tried to ‘even it up’ after the home side were angered by Hornchurch’s opener

A free-kick was floated into the box and the referee blew his whistle. Home goalkeeper Rikki Banks gathered, but placed the ball down thinking another free-kick had been awarded. That wasn’t the case though and Beckles slotted home.

“I ended last season talking about the officials and I’ve started this season talking about them,” added McFarlane.

“Both benches agreed you could write the script at half time and that’s what happened.

“Their bench was unhappy with our opener but it was a mistake from their goalkeeper who thought he’d blown up for another free-kick. He was waiting for a chance to even it up.

“Elliot had a goal disallowed and then no-one knows what the penalty was given for.I spoke to the referee at the time and he said ‘give me half hour and I’ll talk to you about it’.

“I walked in there and he said it was a foul by your number four (Styles).I knew he was going to say that but all the officials have sat down and had a confab to come up with the story.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder