Hornchurch 2 Brentwood 0: Wall double seals FA Cup win

PUBLISHED: 08:43 20 August 2017

Ross Wall of Hornchurch (pic George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

Ross Wall of Hornchurch (pic George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Hornchurch are in the hat for the draw for the first qualifying round of this season’s Emirates FA Cup after beating Bostik North rivals Brentwood Town in an Essex derby at Hornchurch Stadium.

Urchins have never been eliminated as early as the preliminary round in any of their previous 12 campaigns and that statistic continues after Ross Wall’s second-half brace ensured their safe passage, while eliminating Blues at this stage for the second year in a row.

Jimmy McFarlane’s men came into this match on the back of two league victories, against Soham Town Rangers and Grays Athletic respectively, to kick-start their campaign and are yet to concede a goal.

Brentwood began their season with a draw and a defeat and the last time these two sides met each other in the FA Cup was in 2010 where Blues progressed 1-0 in a replay following a goalless draw at the Brentwood Centre.

Hornchurch made one change from Wednesday night’s 2-0 victory at Grays with Wall starting ahead of Leon Mckenzie, who was not in the squad.

Brentwood also made a single change from their midweek game against Potters Bar Town with Kieran English coming in for Matt Hall who dropped down to the bench.

Before the game, a minutes silence was held in memory of the victims of Thursday’s Barcelona terrorist attack and, after a cagey opening, George Purcell attempted to take the game by the scruff of the neck by striking two long rang half-volleys in quick succession but both were held by Anthony Page.

Sam Mott was rarely troubled throughout the whole game but neat build-up play down the right-hand side created a chance for in-form striker Matt Price but he could only put his effort over the bar from Andy Freeman’s pull back after 10 minutes.

Hornchurch believed they should have had a penalty midway through the first half as it appeared that Brentwood’s Luke Foster handled the ball in his own box. But the referee waved play on, much to the home side’s dismay.

It was goalless at the break and not many could argue that it wasn’t the correct scoreline as both teams were feeling each other out.

Wall broke the deadlock just after the hour mark, though, as Jay Porter’s precise cross from the left-hand side was met by the former Thurrock striker whose strong header into the bottom right corner gave the Urchins the ascendency.

Their lead was nearly doubled just three minutes later as Purcell continued to be a menace for Brentwood’s defenders and his darting run into the box resulted in a left-footed effort crashing off the crossbar, much to Town’s relief.

Hornchurch rode their luck a little, though, after 78 minutes as Town hit the woodwork twice in the same passage of play when a corner was swung in and was met by substitute Jack Gardner, whose header struck the bar. After Hornchurch half-cleared, the ball was dangerously played back in for Gardner to swing his leg at it and saw it hit the outside of Mott’s right post.

However, Hornchurch’s lead was eventually doubled inside the last 10 minutes of the match and it was a carbon copy of the first with the same combination paying off once more.

Porter’s cross was met by a diving header from Wall in the centre of the box, with him scoring his third goal of the season after just three games.

Hornchurch looked to add to their lead late on and during the fourth minute of stoppage time, substitute Tobi Joseph robbed former Urchin Luke Stanley of the ball in the middle of Town’s half and dribbled to the edge of the box.

Stanley was trying to make amends and cynically brought down Joseph and was cautioned by referee Richard Carter, but the resulting free-kick from Brad Warner was wide of the mark.

The draw for the next round takes place on Monday, before Hornchurch return to league action next Saturday at Bury Town whilst Brentwood Town are at home to Norwich United.

Hornchurch: Mott, Bentley, Porter, Lee, Cooper, Chouman, Fairweather-Johnson (Joseph 70), Styles (c), Wall, Purcell (Hursit 89), Warner.

Unused Subs: Tuohy, Hussain, Goodacre.

Bookings: Styles 57.

Brentwood Town: Page, Pugsley, Foster, Jones, O’Rawe (c), Cavalier, Hilton (Hilder 68), English (Bademosi 68), Price (Gardner 77), Stanley, Freeman.

Unused Subs: Martin, Rees, Hall, Baker.

Bookings: Jones 62, Hilder 88, Stanley 90+4.

Referee: Richard Carter.

Attendance: 309.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder