Hamlet hurt Hornchurch

PUBLISHED: 17:16 20 September 2014 | UPDATED: 17:16 20 September 2014

Hornchurch manager Jim McFarlane is without Purcell for six matches (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Hornchurch manager Jim McFarlane is without Purcell for six matches (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League images are subject to DataCo Licencing restrictions

Ryman Premier: Dulwich 2 Hornchurch 0

Hornchurch’s struggles continued with another Ryman Premier Division defeat, this time at the hands of Dulwich.

Urchins had collected just four points from a possible 30 heading into this weekend’s action, but boss Jimmy McFarlane had said he felt confident of turning their season around, following only one win in their first 10 league matches and an early exit from the FA Cup after a penalty shoot-out at East Thurrock.

They could not get anything from their trip to south London, though, as they fell to a ninth defeat in 11 outings and fell back to the bottom of the table as VCD Athletic drew at Peacehaven & Telscombe.

George Purcell had the first sight of goal on five minutes, but sent his snapshot wide of the post.

And the striker, looking for his fourth goal in four matches, pounced on a poor back pass soon after, but Dulwich keeper Phil Wilson was out to smother.

Urchins fell behind on 12 minutes when the ball was played to Xavier Vidal and his shot beat Sam Mott.

And Ashley Carew fired a 25-yard effort wide for the hosts as they looked to double their advantage.

The visitors went close when good work from Junior Luke saw him tee up newcomer Thomas Gogo, but his effort was blocked by the Dulwich defence.

And Urchins made a bright start to the second half, with Alex Bentley sending a shot over in the first minute.

But Dulwich moved 2-0 up on 51 minutes when Omar Beckles was caught napping and Shawn McCoulsky pounced to beat Mott.

McFarlane sent Leon McKenzie on for Phil Starkey just past the hour mark, but Hornchurch had to thank keeper Mott for a fine save to keep out Carew’s free-kick midway through the half.

And McKenzie was then forced to limp off with an injury, having only been on the field for five minutes, to be replaced by Chris Bourne.

Frankie Curley had his name taken on 74 minutes as Hornchurch frustrations grew and the visitors saw a good chance to halve the deficit go to waste soon after.

Martin Tuohy went clear, but dragged his effort wide and the striker also sent a free header wide on 80 minutes as Hornchurch slipped to another loss ahead of Tuesday’s trip to Harrow.

Hornchurch: Mott, Homans, Starkey (McKenzie 62) (Bourne 67), Styles (Marshall-Katung 67), Beckles, Curley, Luke, Bentley, Tuohy, Purcell, Gogo. Unsued subs: Griffin, Joseph.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder