Frew taking Romford's next penalty

PUBLISHED: 16:30 21 January 2016

Romford's Matt Frew (right) and Nick Reynolds (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Romford's Matt Frew (right) and Nick Reynolds (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

©TGS Photo +44 8450 946026

Boro skipper discusses Heybridge Swifts match and last night postponed clash with Harlow Town

Romford captain Matt Frew has insisted he will be taking the next penalty his team are awarded after getting some stick recently.

Boro beat Heybridge Swifts 2-0 in the Ryman North on Saturday, but missed a spot-kick early on through Chinedu McKenzie.

Manager Paul Martin revealed his skipper was down to take penalties so he needed to shoulder some of the blame.

But Frew has shed some light on the incident and revealed his determination to find the net from the spot soon.

He said: “My name has been down on the board to take them this season, but so has Chin’s and Nick Reynolds.

“Recently me, ‘Dicko’ and ‘Magic’ have been having a bit of banter too and on Saturday he had Dicko down as captain with me taking penalties.

“Obviously I was captain and when Greg Akpele has gone down and got the penalty, I was on the halfway line and didn’t even think about it.

“But Magic has gave me a look and said it is yours, I was a bit taken back by that and I actually nominated George Woodward.

“He didn’t fancy it and whilst all that was going on Chin has picked the ball up and went on to miss it. I saw in the paper Magic saying I bottled it, but I challenge that!”

Frew is now hoping they are awarded a penalty at Dereham Town this weekend and he has a celebration already planned.

The Romford captain revealed he has been getting plenty of banter from friends about the incident.

“I am hoping we get another one soon because I will be taking it, I’ll take one at Dereham on Saturday,” said Frew.

“I have been getting so much grief about it from managers texting me saying ‘heard you lost your bottle’ but I’m taking it with a pinch of salt. I will be giving Magic some stick when we get one.

“I have a good technique and have taken penalties before, he knows I hit a ball well so I will be putting the next one in the top corner and running off to celebrate in front of him.”

Frew might have got a chance to take a spot-kick yesterday (Wednesday) as Romford were set to host Harlow Town.

But the game was called off when the Ship Lane pitch froze after an initial pitch inspection had taken place earlier in the day.

Boro’s captain admitted it was hard for both teams, adding: “It was frustrating, getting over there and obviously we had the pitch inspection.

“We had one at 4.30pm and they said it was on, but to get there and have the kits being put out before finding out it had been called off was a bit annoying.

“I think it was always going to get colder after that first pitch inspection and they should have made a decision then to be honest.

“With the frost you have coming in, it was always likely to be off so they could have saved us all coming to the stadium to find out it was postponed.”

Related articles

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder