Bostik North: Romford 1 Hertford Town 4

PUBLISHED: 17:10 10 March 2018 | UPDATED: 17:10 10 March 2018

Romford manager Paul Martin saw his side suffer another defeat (Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Romford manager Paul Martin saw his side suffer another defeat (Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Romford were left five points adrift at the bottom of the table after this latest defeat at Ship Lane.

Returning to action after a two-week break, having beaten play-off hopefuls Barking in their most recent outing, Boro fell behind after only five minutes as Phil Lowen fired home from 25 yards, giving Rob Budd no chance in the home goal.

Charlie Mann was called upon to make a good low save at the other end, then pushed another Romford shot around a post after appearing to see it late.

Budd held on to Brett O’Connor’s effort at the second attempt on 28 minutes, but Hertford doubled their advantage soon after when Lowen’s cross was turned home by Charlie Ruff.

Boro hit back on 39 minutes when Andrew Tiranhu’s free-kick evaded everyone and found the net.

But after Mann was foced into another save at the start of the second half, Boro conceded a penalty when O’Connor was brought down in the box and Michael Toner fired home from the spot, although Budd guessed the right way and might have got a touch.

Hertford netted their fourth on 69 minutes, when Luke Illsley beat Budd with a cushioned header from a free-kick to claim his first goal for the club.

Ruff saw another shot blocked, before O’Connor went through on Budd and lifted the ball over the keeper but saw it roll inches wide.

And Budd had to produce a good save to deny substitute Charlie Cole, who fired across goal after more good work by O’Connor on 81 minutes.

Romford wasted the chance of a consolation four minutes from time when a good move led to a poor finish and the visitors might have had a fifth in the final minute when Lowen sent O’Connor clear to shoot past Budd and the upright.

Enough damage had already been done, though, and Norwich United’s 2-2 draw with Grays Athletic saw them edge further clear of Paul Martin’s men in the fight to avoid relegation.

Cheshunt also picked up a point from a 2-2 draw at Soham Town, while Ware were 1-0 winners at Aveley.

Boro will now turn their attentions to Tuesday’s trip to high-flying Bowers & Pitsea, who saw their home game with Dereham Town fall victim to a waterlogged pitch at the Len Salmon Stadium.

Romford: Budd, Olukoga, Nzengo, Cossington, McGeorge (Heather 68), Tiranhu, Taylor, Gjini, Jeakins (Akpele 68), Onokwai (Reynolds 76), Hammond. Unused subs: Clarke, Okoye.

Attendance: 82.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder