Bostik North: Norwich United 0 Hornchurch 2

PUBLISHED: 19:51 23 September 2017 | UPDATED: 19:51 23 September 2017

Nathan Cooper of Hornchurch (pic George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

Nathan Cooper of Hornchurch (pic George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Hornchurch recorded their seventh straight league win of the season, and 11 in total, to ensure a happy trip back from Norfolk.

Urchins went into the match without injured trio Elliot Styles, Tobi Joseph and Alex Bentley, as well as George Purcell, who started a three-match suspension following his red card the previous Saturday at Hertford Town.

But with several players capable of scoring goals regularly, it was perhaps not much of a surprise when Hornchurch took the lead on five minutes, when a free kick was only partly cleared and Nathan Cooper made no mistake with a hard shot straight back into the net.

Two minutes later Leon McKenzie almost made it 2-0, but his shot went wide of the target.

With Hornchurch in command, goalkeeper Andy Wilton saved a Jed Chouman shot on nine minutes, and Chouman was again in action 60 seconds later, when his centre found McKenzie, whose header was a fraction too high and over the bar.

Norwich had rarely threatened but when he did come forward on 23 minutes Kenzer Lee was alert to the danger and made a timely interception.

And it was Lee who two minutes later headed home the second goal from a well-flighted centre.

Hornchurch continued to impress, and when Sam Mott launched a long kick upfield, McKenzie flicked the ball on to Martin Tuohy, but he was crowded out before he could get a shot on goal.

Five minutes from the interval Mott, a spectator for long periods, was alert to a Hafeez Sanusi header, and made an excellent save, tipping the ball over the bar for a corner.

And it was the turn of the Norwich keeper, Wilton, to shine in the final minute of the half, with a very good save to keep out a goalbound shot from Theo Fairweather-Johnson.

Wilton was soon back in action in the second half, which was just five minutes old when he dived to save a McKenzie volley.

On 53 minutes Jay Porter made ground on the left and centred to McKenzie, and Wilton made yet another fine save, and repeated the performance seconds later, saving from Sean Roberts.

Wilton came to the rescue once again when he saved from Fairweather-Johnson on 58 minutes, and four minutes later Brad Warner fired in a shot that was too high and over the bar.

The overworked Wilton was soon back in the thick of the action, when Warner took a pass from Fairweather-Johnson, cut inside, but found the keeper once again in top form.

Norwich had just a handful of chances, one of which came on 72 minutes, but the shot was wide of the mark.

Ross Wall came on for McKenzie, but it was Warner who came close to adding to the score, with a shot from just six yards out, that rose too sharply and cleared the bar.

Mathias Fanimo, who came on for Martin Tuohy, was in action almost immediately, moving on to Warner’s cross, but hooking his shot over the bar.

Hornchurch: Mott, Hursit, Porter, Lee, Cooper, Roberts, Fairweaher-Johnson (Hussain 90), Chouman, McKenzie (Wall 78), Tuohy (Fanimo 83), Warner.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder