Essex Senior Cup: Bowers & Pitsea 1 Romford 1 (2-4 pens)

PUBLISHED: 08:07 21 November 2018 | UPDATED: 08:07 21 November 2018

Rhys Hughes of Romford (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Rhys Hughes of Romford (pic Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Romford booked a place in the quarter-finals fo the Essex Senior Cup with a penalty shoot-out win over Bostik North leaders Bowers on Tuesday night.

Boro travelled to the Len Salmon Stadium on the back of a 2-1 defeat at Mildenhall at the weekend and having lost 2-0 to Bowers in a league meeting last month.

But Paul Martin’s men upset the form book to shock their hosts and become the first team into the last eight of this year’s competition.

David Knight fired just wide for Bowers on there minutes, but they took the lead moments later when James Thomas intercepted a pass by George Forrest and bore down on goal to fire past Rhys Hughes.

It was a far from ideal start for Romford, but they were back on level terms on 16 minutes when the ball was rolled into the path of Khadean Campbell, who turned his marker and fired past Andrew Wilton.

Roddy Lemba sent a first-time shot just over the bar midway through the first half, while Hughes kept out a volley at the other end, after Richard Halle had flicked on a Ryan Sammons free-kick.

A goalline clearance denied the hosts on 36 minutes, before Max Cornhill had a shot saved by Hughes and Knight saw his follow-up attempt blocked on the line on 40 minutes.

The first real chance of the second half did not materialise until just before the hour when Halle found Knight with a superb pass, but his dangerous ball across goal was cleared by Forrest.

But Boro went close to taking the lead on 64 minutes when Campbell roudned Wilton, only to see Halle produce a goal-saving challenge.

Martin sent Greg Akpele and Connor Tyrell on for Max Bolton and Danny Jones with 20 minutes left, but Bowers went close to a winner on 82 minutes when Cornhill headed just wide from Knight’s outswinging corner.

Boro went closer still, though, with two minutes remaining and Campbell cut inside and fired against the crossbar, before the final whistle blew and it went to spot-kicks.

Hughes converted Romford’s first effort, then produced two fine saves, as Max Bradford, Tyrell and Ayodeji Olukoga were also successful from 12 yards

Boro will hope to transfer their cup form to the league when they host Basildon United on Saturday, having lost their last five matches.

Romford: Hughes, Joseph, Bradford, Forrest, Olukoga, Cossington, Jones (Tyrell 70), Toussaint, Campbell, Lemba, Bolton (Akpele 70). Subs: Akpele, Taylor, Tyrell.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder