Essex boys edged out

PUBLISHED: 14:57 23 November 2015 | UPDATED: 14:57 23 November 2015

An Essex player lines up a shot against Hertfordshire (pic:

An Essex player lines up a shot against Hertfordshire (pic:


East Anglian Championship: Essex 2 Herts 3

Essex under-18s took on Hertfordshire at Harlow (pic under-18s took on Hertfordshire at Harlow (pic

Hertfordshire ended Essex Under-18s’ promising start to the season with victory at the Harlow Arena.

Graham Hall’s team twice battled back from a going behind, but it was not enough as the visitors claimed the spoils.

Essex were ultimately beaten by Jarvis Nutt’s 76th-minute winner, the forward netting his second of the afternoon to seal Herts’ victory.

They grabbed an early lead on 12 minutes as Alfie Barker’s shot was cut across goal for Ezekeil Bademosi to fire in.

Essex goalkeeper Joe Bowles, of Hornchurch, takes a goal kick (pic: goalkeeper Joe Bowles, of Hornchurch, takes a goal kick (pic:

But Essex were level again within five minutes, with Oliver Hanlon converting at the second attempt after his initial effort was blocked by goalkeeper Tim Whitehouse.

It was Essex who carved the best opportunity of the remainder of the first period, with Joe O’Hare’s shot slipping through the grasp of Whitehouse who then clung on at the feet of Solomon Ogunwomoji before the latter fired just over the top from close range.

But within just 20 seconds of the restart, the visitors had edged back ahead as Nutt curled home brilliantly after a dash into the penalty area.

Again Essex’s response was speedy and they were back on terms on 48 minutes as O’Hare picked up a through ball, rounded ‘keeper Whitehouse and slotted in for his fifth goal of the campaign.

A fine block from Essex goalkeeper Joe Bowles, of Hornchurch, then kept out Alfie Barker prior to a rising effort from Matt Bentley brought a superb save from Whitehouse, who tipped onto the crossbar.

Another effort from Bentley then dropped just over the top before Hertfordshire grabbed the crucial winner 14 minutes from time as Nutt made room for himself 15 yards from goal and found the bottom corner with a firm low effort.

The visitors could have put the game beyond doubt, when Scott Batchelor was left with just the ‘keeper to beat, but he lobbed just over the top.

And a half chance for Essex at the death saw Toby Aromolaran send a half volley just wide as the visitors hung on to claim victory.

Essex: Joe Bowles (Hornchurch), Regan Mead (Tilbury), Oliver Hanlon (Tilbury), Lee Green (Halstead Town) , George O’Connor (Hornchurch), Jamie Price (East Thurrock), Lewis Jaggs (Tilbury, Solomon Ogunwomoji (Aveley), Joe O’Hare (Chelmsford City), Matthew Bentley (Hornchurch), Tarryn Allarakhia (Aveley). Substitutes (repeated): James Alborough (Brentwood Town), William Baldry (Tilbury), Toby Aromolaran (Thurrock), Tom Howe (Brentwood Town), Andy Fennell (Chelmsford City).

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder