Woking 1 Dagenham & Redbridge 3: Quick-fire first half showing helps Daggers down Cards

PUBLISHED: 16:50 20 August 2016 | UPDATED: 16:50 20 August 2016

Craig Robson of Dagenham & Redbridge scores the opening goal at Woking (pic: David Simpson/TGS Photo)

Craig Robson of Dagenham & Redbridge scores the opening goal at Woking (pic: David Simpson/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

National League: Woking 1 (Edgar 48) Dagenham & Redbridge 3 (Robson 11, Maguire-Drew 16, Okenabirhie 19)

Jordan Maguire-Drew of Dagenham & Redbridge scores the second goal at Woking (pic: David Simpson/TGS Photo)Jordan Maguire-Drew of Dagenham & Redbridge scores the second goal at Woking (pic: David Simpson/TGS Photo)

Three goals in the space of eight first-half minutes saw Dagenham & Redbridge beat Woking to win three league games in a row for the first time since August 2009.

Having started slowly, Daggers recovered to blow Cards away with three goals from the 11th to the 19th minute.

Credit must go to the hosts, though, who came out far better in the second half to make a game of things, with the Victoria Road side fortunate to hang on at times.

The Essex club made two changes from Tuesday’s win over Lincoln City, with Jordan Maguire-Drew and Paul Benson coming into the starting XI.

Maguire-Drew replaced Chris Assombalonga, who dropped to the bench, on the right wing.

Benson made the first start of his second stint with Daggers at the expense of Oliver Hawkins, who missed out on the matchday squad.

Lining up for Woking was centre-back Brian Saah, who spent two years at Victoria Road from 2013 to 2015 before being released at the end of his contract.

Despite the sides enduring contrasting starts to the season, Daggers were a touch fortunate not to concede an early goal in the fifth minute.

Cards winger Charlie Carter flashed a ball in from the right to the near post, and Elliot Justham could only watch on as striker Charlie Penny diverted it just wide of the goal.

Despite being pressured for much of the opening exchanges, it was Daggers who took the lead in the 11th minute.

Having won a corner with good play down the left wing, Luke Guttridge delivered the set piece to the middle of the box.

The ball was powerfully met by Craig Robson, who had risen above the defence to nod in his first goal for Daggers.

And the Victoria Road club soon added a second with Maguire-Drew rounding out a superb counter-attack six minutes later.

The on-loan Brighton & Hove Albion winger received the ball from Luke Guttridge just to the right of the box around 20 yards out.

Maguire-Drew cut inside left-back Ben Gordon before curling his shot into the top-left corner, past a helpless Michael Poke.

The teenager was involved in the third goal for Daggers in the 19th minute having been fouled in the box by Woking centre-back Joey Jones.

Fejiri Okenabirhie stepped up to take the spot kick, but saw Poke push it away down to his left.

However, Guttridge was alert enough to reach the rebound, sliding the ball back across goal for Okenabirhie to tap home his second goal of the season.

Daggers came close to a fourth in the 30th minute when Maguire-Drew was fouled on the right hand side around 25 yards.

The winger dusted himself down to take the free kick, but narrowly put the ball over the bar.

Daggers continued to pile on the pressure, with Matt Robinson firing a 30-yard volley straight at Poke five minutes later.

With six minutes left in the half, Maguire-Drew narrowly put a free header over after a chipped ball in from the left by Okenabirhie.

No further goals were forthcoming, though, as the Essex club took a three-goal advantage into the break.

However, it took less than three minutes into the second half for the net to rattle again, though this time it was for Woking.

After a period of possession around the Daggers box, Anthony Edgar fired low and hard past Justham from 20 yards to give the hosts hope of a comeback.

Slowly, though, Daggers were growing into the half, with Benson going close in the 57th minute.

After a melee in the box, the evergreen striker fired a powerful effort from 10 yards at Poke, but the Cards keeper tipped the ball over for a corner that came to nothing.

Again, though, Woking pressed on in search of a second, with Kieran Murtagh finding Max Kretzschmar in the box nine minutes later.

The midfielder shot low and his effort took a deflection, but Daggers stopper Justham adjusted well to stop the ball from trickling into the net.

Despite further pressure from Woking, Daggers were able to hold on for their fourth win in five games.

But boss John Still will be hoping for a better second half display in front of the BT Sport cameras at home to Wrexham next Saturday.

Woking: Poke; Caprice, Saah, Jones, Gordon (Saraiva 46); Murtagh, Carter (Ansah 82); Edgard, Kretzschmar (Ugwu 73), Ralph; Penny

Subs: Hall, Lewis

Daggers: Justham; Williams, Doe, Robson, Widdowson; Boucaud, Robinson; Maguire-Drew (Whitely 72), Guttridge (Staunton 79), Okenabirhie; Benson

Subs: Cousins, Raymond, Assombalonga

Attendance: 1,153

Referee: Adam Bromley

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists