Sutton United 1 Dagenham & Redbridge 0: Daggers downed by hard-working U’s

PUBLISHED: 16:56 29 August 2016

Fejiri Okenabirhie of Dagenham & Redbridge and Simon Downer of Sutton United (pic: David Simpson/TGS Photo)

Fejiri Okenabirhie of Dagenham & Redbridge and Simon Downer of Sutton United (pic: David Simpson/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

National League: Sutton United 1 (Hudson-Odoi 11) Dagenham & Redbridge 0

Dagenham & Redbridge saw their four-game winning streak come to an end with a 1-0 defeat away to Sutton United.

Daggers struggled early on in the first half and conceded the game’s only goal in the 11th minute.

Despite a concerted effort, the Essex club were unable to find an equaliser as they lost for just the second time this season.

The visitors made two changes for the trip to Gander Green Lane: one forced and one through choice.

Andre Boucaud missed a match for the first time this season having flown off for international with Trinidad & Tobago, with Frankie Raymond starting in his place.

The other change was a first start of the season for Corey Whitely, who impressed after replacing Luke Guttridge in the second half against Wrexham.

Daggers took time to adapt to the 3G surface at Gander Green Lane, though had a good chance to open the scoring in the ninth minute.

Matt Robinson found Whitely in space on the right, who crossed for Oliver Hawkins, but he could not add the desired finish before the hosts cleared.

It proved costly as less than two minutes later, Daggers fell behind after a spot of poor defending at the back.

Ross Stearn’s cross from the left went between Scott Doe and Josh Staunton in the box, allowing Bradley Hudson-Odoi to tap in from 10 yards.

And the Essex club nearly conceded a second in quick succession, with Ryan Burge forcing a smart save from Elliot Justham in the 11th minute.

After a slow start, the Victoria Road side began to grow into the game, and perhaps could have been level through Whitely 10 minutes later.

A Jordan Maguire-Drew corner from the right sparked a melee in the box, which ended with Whitely firing a half-volley narrowly wide from 12 yards.

With 10 minutes left until half-time, the visitors had another glorious chance to level through Maguire-Drew.

Hawkins fairly won his aerial duel with U’s defender Dean Beckwith, heading the ball into the box for the winger to latch onto, but his shot was cleared off the line.

Unfortunately, Daggers were unable to find an equaliser before the break as they went into half-time a goal down.

Keen to make a fast start after the interval, John Still’s men should have been level in the 55th minute.

Raymond’s initial shot from the edge of the area rebounded off a defender into the path of Hawkins, but Saturday’s hat-trick hero fired over from 12 yards.

There was late drama as both Daggers and Sutton were reduced to 10 men in the closing moments, but for different reasons.

Having used all three substitutions, Guttridge hobbled off for the visitors while Simon Downer saw red for a vicious foul on Paul Benson with three minutes to go.

Even then, Daggers could not find a way back into proceedings and will be hoping to bounce back at home to Boreham Wood on Saturday.

Sutton: Worner, Amankwaah, Beckwith, Collins, Hudson-Odoi (Deacon 66), Stearn, Eastmond, Bailey, Burge (Gomis 64), Biamou (Dickson 74), Downer

Subs: Fitchett, Morrell

Daggers: Justham; Staunton, Doe, Robson, Widdowson; Robinson, Raymond; Maguire-Drew, Whitely (Assombalonga 83), Okenabirhie (Guttridge 60); Hawkins (Benson 75)

Subs: Cousins, Donnellan

Attendance: 1,951

Referee: David Rock

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists