Stefan’s a Payne as Hornchurch dump Daggers out of Essex Senior Cup

PUBLISHED: 22:34 14 January 2014 | UPDATED: 23:09 14 January 2014

Stefan Payne scores a late winning goal for Hornchurch against Daggers. Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO

Stefan Payne scores a late winning goal for Hornchurch against Daggers. Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO

Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League

Essex Senior Cup quarter-final: AFC Hornchurch 1 Dagenham & Redbridge 0

Hornchurch produced an upset at Bridge Avenue as Stefan Payne’s 89th minute winner was enough for the Ryman Premier side to defeat League Two Dagenham & Redbridge in the quarter-finals of the Essex Senior Cup.

Daggers opted to give the likes of Femi Ilesanmi, Afolabi Obafemi, Anthony Edgar, Chris Dickson and Sean Shields starts, but it was the reigning Cup holders who were happiest at full time after matching their local rivals throughout the contest.

Urchins started the first half well despite poor starts being the catalyst for their last three league defeats, and they had several chances inside the opening 10 minutes.

First Carl Rook fired over the bar from Sam Lechmere’s centre before Elliot Styles and Payne went close from close range.

Dagenham slowly got a foothold in the contest though and won several free-kicks midway through the half but Urchins stood firm.

Then ex-West Ham youngster Anthony Edgar went closest with a rasping strike against the crossbar after dribbling outside the penalty box, but Hornchurch were able to clear.

Payne came close again for Hornchurch after beating Daggers keeper Lloyd Anderson to the ball but he poked wide.

The League Two side came closest next as Sean Shields dribbled past two Urchins defenders but Inigo Echepare blocked well.

The last chance of the half nearly fell to Chris Dickson but Hornchurch captain Styles got across to snuff out the danger.

Phil Starkey was introduced at the break for Michael Spencer as the visitors started to show their class.

Femi Ilesanmi cut inside but sliced wide before Shields got into a good position but overcooked his pass.

Payne should have given Hornchurch the lead after challenging Daggers defender Ian Gayle strongly but he curled wide from inside the box.

The initial challenge from the forward looked dangerous though and he was perhaps fortunate that the referee let it go.

Chances were few and far between in the second period as neither side wanted to give an inch.

Dagenham had reason to fell aggrieved when Starkey and Edgar came together inside the box but no penalty was given.

Shields produced a magnificent effort from outside the area midway through the second period but Echepare did well to tip over the bar.

And then with the game edging towards penalties, it was Payne who popped up with a match winner.

The Urchins forward had been the host most threatening player all night and he finally found the net when he jinked into the box and slotted home in the 89th minute.

The referee blew for full time soon after as Hornchurch produced an upset against their local rivals to continue their Essex Senior Cup run.

Hornchurch: Echepare, Coyne Spencer (Starkey 46),, Styles, Hayles, Curley, Bremner (Eyong 86), May, Rook, Payne, Lechmere (Purcell 74).

Unused substitute: Bowditch.

Daggers: Anderson, Stewart, Ilesanmi, Ferguson, Gayle, Hibbert, Obafemi, Pykes, Dickson, Shields, Edgar.

Unused substitutes: Yexley, Bloomfield, Walker, Sidhu, Hickman.

Attendance: 339

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder