Ogogo stunner saves Daggers

PUBLISHED: 16:58 30 August 2014 | UPDATED: 16:58 30 August 2014

Ashley Hemmings of Dagenham is congratulated by skipper Abu Ogogo, who would also find the net, after scoring the Daggers first goal. Pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO

Ashley Hemmings of Dagenham is congratulated by skipper Abu Ogogo, who would also find the net, after scoring the Daggers first goal. Pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO

Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football Leagu

Sky Bet League Two: Oxford United 3 Dagenham & Redbridge 3

Danny Hylton of Oxford United scores the third goal from the penalty spot. Pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTODanny Hylton of Oxford United scores the third goal from the penalty spot. Pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO

Abu Ogogo’s wonder goal saved Daggers from defeat against basement boys Oxford in a six-goal thriller at the Kassam Stadium.

Captain Ogogo sent a dipping 35-yard effort over the head of George Long on 71 minutes to bring his side back on terms, after Danny Hylton’s quickfire double around the hour mark had put them behind.

The hosts had raced into an early lead through Alex Jakubiak, but Ashley Hemmings quickly levelled and Jamie Cureton put Daggers ahead within a minute at the start of the second half.

But Daggers were wobbling after Hylton’s brace before Ogogo came to the rescue.

Danny Hylton of Oxford United (10) celebrates scoring the second Oxford goal. Pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTODanny Hylton of Oxford United (10) celebrates scoring the second Oxford goal. Pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO

Wayne Burnett named an unchanged starting line-up from the 2-0 win over Mansfield, with Damian Batt given a place on the bench against his former club after injury.

But the visitors were quickly on the back foot as Hylton got away from Jack Connors to tee up Carlton Morris, who fired over the angle of crossbar and post.

Daggers did not heed the warning, though, as Morris released Joe Riley on the right and his cross was turned home from close range by Jakubiak.

Ogogo saw a volley comfortably saved by Long as Daggers sought an immediate reply, but the home side went close again when Liam O’Brien got caught underneath a deep corner and Hylton headed wide at the far post.

Daggers drew level on seven minutes, though, with a lovely goal as Luke Howell’s clever touch released Jamie Cureton inside the box and his low centre from the right was sent into the roof of the net by Hemmings.

But the visitors saw their goalscorer pulled down on 14 minutes, with Riley booked for subsequently kicking the ball away when the free-kick decision went against him. And Oxford countered as Michael Collins sent a long ball upfield for Alfie Potter, who saw his angled drive come back off the far post.

Howell worked himself into a shooting position as Daggers rebounded, but pushed his shot beyond the far upright, then Hylton headed over from eight yards on 19 minutes as play continued to swing from end to end.

Ashley Chambers saw his drive deflected just past the post midway through what was turning out to be a lively first half.

And Daggers won another corner when Cureton’s cross was headed behind, from a Chambers pass on the right, although that also came to nothing.

The visitors managed to keep the ball for a short spell on the left, before Andre Boucaud’s poor control allowed Oxford to counter through Jakubiak, whose cross was cut out.

Morris outmuscled Brian Saah on the right to clip in a cross which was nodded down for Hylton, who looked certain to restore Oxford’s lead only to be denied by Scott Doe’s excellent block.

It gave the home side and their fans more encouragement, though, as Daggers continued to feed off scraps of possession.

But Hemmings fizzed an angled drive just past the far post on one such occasion, after Ogogo’s tackle had freed the ball for Chambers to lead an attack through midfield.

Johnny Mullins stung the palms of O’Brien with a 20-yard drive on 36 minutes, before Riley sent another effort thumping into the midrift of the Daggers keeper moments later.

Jakubiak’s foul on Hemmings gave Connors the chance to send a free-kick into the box, but it was claimed comfortably by Long without a red shirt in sight.

And Collins clipped Cureton out near the byline to give Daggers another free-kick opportunity just before the interval, but although Chambers picked out the head of Saah, he could not direct his effort on target.

Oxford had the last chance of note in stoppage time, as Riley sent a free-kick just over the crossbar, but Daggers had the first of the second period and made it count as Cureton collected Howell’s pass just inside the box, steadied himself and sent his low shot into the far corner.

Daggers suddenly looked a different side, keeping the ball better, and a fine ball by Matt Partridge found the predatory Cureton just inside the box, but an Oxford defender stuck out a boot to divert the ball behind.

Boucaud’s low 20-yard drive was pushed out by Long, but no Dagger could profit from the loose ball as Oxford cleared the danger.

Then Oxford drew level on 55 minutes when Tom Newey sent in a superb cross from the left and Hylton got above Saah to plant a header inside the far post.

Long smothered another Boucaud shot but Hylton headed wide from a Will Hoskins cross before it got worse for Daggers on the hour when Doe was adjudged to have fouled Jakubiak in the box and Hylton converted from the spot.

Burnett sent George Porter and Batt on for Hemmings and Connors in a double substitution on 64 minutes.

And both were soon involved as Batt raced onto a Chambers pass to send in a deep cross, which fell to Howell who sliced his effort wide.

Then Porter was presented with a good chance to make it 3-3 when the ball broke to him unmarked on the left side of the box, but he sidefooted his shot wide of the near post.

Daggers were back on terms on 71 minutes, though, in stunning fashion as the ball sat up perfectly for Ogogo to send a fantastic dipping effort over the head of Long before sprinting to celebrate in front of the travelling fans.

But Daggers needed a strong right hand from O’Brien to push another Hylton header over the bar as the Oxford striker found more space in the box.

And the home side had penalty appeals ignored on 80 minutes, when Hylton’s cross appeared to hit a hand.

The shouts were louder with seven minutes to go when Hoskins saw his shot hit the back of Doe’s arm and referee Gary Sutton was again unmoved.

And Daggers held on for a share of the spoils after a nerve-jangling afternoon.

Oxford: Long, Newey, Mullins (Hoskins 56), Wright, Morris, Hylton, Potter (O’Dowda 78), Ruffels, Collins, Riley, Jakubiak. Unused subs: Crocombe, Meades, Raynes, Rose, Hunt.

Daggers: O’Brien, Connors (Batt 64), Doe, Saah, Cureton, Ogogo, Chambers (Labadie 90), Howell, Partridge, Hemmings (Porter 64), Boucard. Unused subs: Cousins, Gayle, Goldberg, Raymond.

Referee: Gary Sutton.

Attendance: 4,391 (including 158 Dagenham & Redbridge fans).


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Romford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Romford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Romford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Romford Sports News

22 minutes ago

Leyton Orient and Dagenham & Redbridge have both been handed away ties in the second round of the FA Trophy.


Dagenham & Redbridge goalkeeper Lewis Moore feels he has shown manager Peter Taylor what he is capable of as they sealed a 1-0 victory over Ebbsfleet United in his competitive debut.


It was the fighting spirit of Romford’s very own ‘Dinosaur’ Michael Barnard that saw him through a marathon see-saw first round tie with Jose De Sousa at the William Hill PDC World Darts Championship at Alexandra Palace.

The NR F1 Podcast reviews the 2018 Formula 1 season – with Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes top of the pile, plus some exiting developments awaiting in 2019.

Everyone Active Raiders extended their winning streak in National League Division One to five matches after a tense and tetchy contest with the Wildcats.

Saturday, December 15, 2018

First-half goals from Snodgrass and Antonio settle matters for Hammers

Saturday, December 15, 2018

Tom Potter saw red on another disappointing day for Romford as a heavy defeat at the hands of Heybridge sent them closer to the foot of the table.

Saturday, December 15, 2018

FA Trophy: Ebbsfleet United 0 Dagenham & Redbridge 1


From November, The Mercury in Romford begins to celebrate Christmas. The mall has plenty of gift ideas, fun events and activities for everyone

Vauxhall has completed its sport utility vehicle range with the third, and largest, Grandland X. We put the SUV, now available at Tony LeVoi in Romford, to the test.

“The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining,” so the saying goes. So if some warm weather is making your conservatory uninhabitable, think about replacing its roof with a flat one and adding a roof lantern instead.

Newsletter Sign Up

Romford Recorder twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read sport

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists

Education Promo

News from your area

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Romford Recorder
e-edition today


Education and Training


Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now