Romain goal not enough as Daggers go down to Maidstone

PUBLISHED: 21:47 07 August 2018 | UPDATED: 21:47 07 August 2018

Dagenham manager Peter Taylor during Hemel Hempstead Town vs Dagenham & Redbridge, Friendly Match Football at Vauxhall Road on 28th July 2018

Dagenham manager Peter Taylor during Hemel Hempstead Town vs Dagenham & Redbridge, Friendly Match Football at Vauxhall Road on 28th July 2018

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Vanarama National League: Dagenham & Redbridge 1 (Romain 80) Maidstone United 2 (Turgott 41, 51)

Peter Taylor’s wait for his first win as Dagenham & Redbridge goes on after a 2-1 defeat at home to Maidstone Unite din the Vanarama National League.

Despite dominating the opening period, Daggers went into the half-time behind after a goal late in the period for Stones.

The visitors doubled their lead early in the second half, and though Elliott Romain pulled one back late on for Daggers, time unfortunately ran out for the hosts.

Daggers boss Taylor made two changes following Saturday’s defeat at Boreham Wood, one of which was enforced.

With Ben Goodliffe suspended, Alex Davey came in to the starting XI for his debut, while Lamar Reynolds replaced Ollie Harfield, who dropped to the bench.

With skipper Ben Nunn again absent as he continues his recovery from a knee injury, Matt Robinson wore the armband once again.

The Essex club had a glorious chance to take the lead in the 16th minute when a Lamar Reynolds headed the ball towards Romain, who could only nod over from six yards.

With nine minutes remaining in the half, Reynolds was involved again as he tested Stones stopper Lee Worgan with a low effort after driving in from the left flank.

The former Newport County man was in the thick of the action on his full debut, teeing up Romain for an effort that was blocked behind for a corner in the 38th minute.

The subsequent set-piece found Will Wright 12 yards out, but his header was tipped over the bar by Worgan for another corner which came to nothing.

Despite Daggers’ dominance, the hosts fell behind in the 42nd minute when Blair Turgott rounded out a swift counter-attack when netting from inside the box.

Turgott could have had a second two minutes later after bursting past the Daggers defence, but was denied by a superb covering tackle from Liam Gordon.

Taylor’s men almost drew level in stoppage time at the end of the half when a Gordon free-kick found Wright at the back post, but the defender nodded narrowly wide.

There was also time for another good effort from inside the box from Reynolds, which Worgan turned behind for a corner that came to nothing.

That proved to be the final action of the half, but Daggers began the second period brightly with Harry Donovan flashing an effort wide from 18 yards in the 47th minute.

However, the Essex club fell further behind four minutes later when Turgott nabbed his second, tapping home from close range after Joe Quigley’s initial effort rebounded off the post.

That seemed to take the sting out of Daggers, who had hoped for a bright start to the second period to get back into the match.

However, the hosts where almost offered a route back into the game when a Reynolds ball from the left found Donovan in the box, but Worgan was on hand to deny the hosts once more.

With 12 minutes remaining, a ball from the left by Gordon went all the way across the box and found Chike Kandi free at the far post, but the former Leatherhead man smacked his effort against the post.

Daggers continued to put pressure on the Maidstone goal and finally got their reward with 10 minutes remaining.

Another cross from the left by Gordon found Romain in the middle of the box and the striker produced a deft header to send the ball past Worgan and into the net.

The Victoria Road outfit nearly drew level in bizarre circumstances in the 82nd minute, but Robinson’s cross from deep was just about pushed over for a corner by Worgan.

Daggers continued to press for that second goal, but only a superb save from Justham prevented the hosts from conceded a third to Turgott in stoppage time.

Unfortunately, time ran out for Daggers before they could manage an equaliser as they lost for the second game in a row.

The Essex club will hope that run ends on Saturday when they welcome Maidenhead United.

Daggers (4-4-3): Justham; Hoyte, Davey, Wright, Gordon; Robinson, Phipps (Blanchfield 61), Donovan (Harfield 68); Kandi, Romain, Reynolds.

Subs: Moore (GK), Bonds, T Hyde.

Maidstone (4-3-3): Worgan; Twumasi, De Havilland (Wynter 26), Finney, McLennan; Paxman (Phillips 66), Lewis, Muldoon; Loza, Quigley (Mullings 69), Turgott.

Subs: Efete, Coker.

Referee: Chris Pollard

Attendance: 1,405 (including 330 Maidstone fans).

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder

1959 A 16-year-old Hornchurch boy who tried - and failed - to rescue his father from drowning at Southend was praised at the inquest this week for his courage. David Benton, of Northumberland Avenue, Hornchurch and a friend. Arthur Frederick Suckling, 17, of Factory Road, Romford, who helped in the rescue attempt, were told by Mr A. J. Dalton, Southend deputy coroner: “Your efforts were very valiant.” A verdict of the accidental drowning was recorded in the death of Charles Edwin Joseph Benton, 46, who was employed at a photographic firm. He died near the wreck of Mulberry Harbour, off the beach at Thorpe Bay. Mr Benton, described by his wife as “a big healthy and active, keen on the water but not a strong swimmer,” was brought to shore by Donald Atkinson of Winchmore Hill. 1979 Police were hunting for a brave have-a-go hero who tackled armed bandits in a bid to stop a £25,000 robbery. The mystery man lashed out at a vicious shotgun gang when they swooped on security guards outside at Elm Park bank. Detectives praised his courage and appealed for him to come forward, The drama began when a Security Express van arrived outside the National Westminster Bank in Elm parade, St Nicholas Avenue at 10.20am to deliver cash. Two guards left the van to walk towards the bank and were pounced on by four men with sawn-off shotguns. One grabbed the cash bag and started to run off. But one of the guards jumped on his back, and threatened to shoot if he didn’t let him go. The mystery hero then ran to help the guards and punched one of the gang. 1999 A pair of armed robbers held up a Securicor van with a gun and are believed to have made off with around £70,000. The terrifying attack happened around 10am outside the Abbey National bank, in Station Parade, Elm Park. It is believed the robbers shoved a Securicor guard up against the side of the van and threatened him with a handgun, while another guard inside the van passed out money through the hatch. Securicor was offering a reward of up to £10,000 for information leading to arrest and conviction. A witness said: “It was really frightening, these two men started shouting and waving a gun. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing, then they just ran off. I was quite shaky because I didn’t know where they were going to run to or to what they were going to do next - it was awful.”

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists