Cheek on target as Daggers draw with Colchester

PUBLISHED: 21:21 17 July 2018 | UPDATED: 21:21 17 July 2018

Dagenham & Redbridge hosted Colchester United in a friendly (pic: Ned Keating)

Dagenham & Redbridge hosted Colchester United in a friendly (pic: Ned Keating)


Pre-season friendly: Dagenham & Redbridge 1 (Cheek 20) Colchester United 1 (Wright 85)

Dagenham & Redbridge delivered another promising pre-season performance to draw 1-1 with Sky Bet League Two outfit Colchester United.

Daggers nearly took the lead in the ninth minute when captain for the night Luke Pennell powerfully met a Lamar Reynolds corner, but Dylan Barnes produced a good save at full stretch to keep the ball out.

Colchester then went close to opening the scoring six minutes later when Harry Pell laid the ball off for Mikael Mandron, but the forward curled his effort from the edge of the area wide.

It was the Victoria Road club, though, who would break the deadlock in the 20th minute having been awarded a free-kick after U’s custodian Dylan Barnes handled the ball outside of the box.

Michael Cheek stepped up to take the set-piece from 18 yards and powerfully fired it low into the net to give the hosts the advantage.

Taylor’s men continued to be on the front foot, with Romain flashing a venomous effort from 20 yards narrowly wide on the half-hour mark.

Daggers were dealt a blow in the penultimate minute of the first half when Reynolds was forced off following a nasty challenge by Harry Pell, with Ollie Harfield taking his place.

Just six minutes into the second half, the hosts breathed a sigh of relief when Pell headed over from a corner.

Taylor’s men had an even bigger let off in the 63rd minute when Colchester replacement Aaron Collins saw his header from a corner hit the bar before the hosts cleared.

With 17 minutes remaining, U’s substitute Ryan Clampin then pushed an effort wide with the goal at his mercy after being found by a ball from the right.

Colchester’s pressure finally told five minutes from time when replacement Diaz Wright rounded out a swift counter-attack for the visitors.

U’s could have had a second just over two minutes later, but Daggers stopper Lewis Moore made himself big to deny Kane Vincent-Young from a tight angle.

Daggers held on to draw, though, and visit Bishop’s Stortford on Saturday for another pre-season friendly.

Daggers (4-4-2): Moore; Hoyte (Ossai 46 (Hirst 79)), Racine (Khinda-John 46), Pennell, Gordon (Swain 46); Kandi (Sach 61), Robinson (T Hyde 46), Bonds (Agboola 61), Reynolds (Harfield 44); Cheek, Romain (Balgoun 84).

Subs: Palmer (GK), M Hyde, Salis.

Colchester (5-3-2): Barnes (Gilmartin 73); Jackson (James 73), Eastman (Barnes 73), Prosser (Kensdale 61), Kent (Vincent-Young 73), Dickenson (Clampin 73); Pell (Cowley 73), Lapslie (Wright 73), Senior (Collins 61); Mandron (Gondoh 73), Nouble (Ogedi-Uzokwe 68).

Referee: Rob Whitton

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists