Munns relieved to finally nab first goal for Daggers

PUBLISHED: 16:00 19 November 2018

Jack Munns of Dagenham & Redbridge and Luke Burke of Fylde (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Jack Munns of Dagenham & Redbridge and Luke Burke of Fylde (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Midfielder scored winner for Essex club in win over Coasters

Jack Munns was delighted to get off the mark for Dagenham & Redbridge with the winning goal against Fylde in the Vanarama National League.

Daggers had trailed inside a minute against the Coasters with Andy Bond on target for the visitors.

However, Conor Wilkinson nabbed his first goal for the Essex club since joining on loan from Gillingham to send the sides into half-time level at 1-1.

Midway through the second half, Munns slammed home a ball across goal from Alex McQueen for what ultimately proved to be the winner.

It was a first goal for the 24-year-old since joining the Victoria Road club earlier in the season and Munns was pleased to finally nab his first goal for Daggers.

“I was delighted to score and it felt like it had been a long time coming,” said the former Hartlepool United man, who turned 24 on Sunday.

“I only scored one last season, but hopefully I can build on that now and get a few more.

“It was a great team move and a great cross Alex McQueen, so I didn’t have to do too much.

“I took it in my stride because it was a perfect cross and it was nice to see it hit the back of the net.”

It was a terrific recovery from Daggers, who were behind with 34 seconds on the clock after Bond fired Fylde in front.

The start itself was far from ideal and Munns acknowledged that Peter Taylor’s men gave themselves plenty of work to do after letting a goal in inside the first minute.

“It’s not great as you’re up against it straight away and no one wants to be like that,” added the ex-Cheltenham Town man.

“We probably started a bit slow in the first 10 minutes, but I thought we grew into the first half quite well and you could tell a goal was coming.

“We said at half-time that we probably could have had another goal in the first half.

“We looked quite dangerous going forward, but Fylde looked quite dangerous going forward as well, so it seemed like quite an open game in the first half.”

Related articles

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder

1959 A 16-year-old Hornchurch boy who tried - and failed - to rescue his father from drowning at Southend was praised at the inquest this week for his courage. David Benton, of Northumberland Avenue, Hornchurch and a friend. Arthur Frederick Suckling, 17, of Factory Road, Romford, who helped in the rescue attempt, were told by Mr A. J. Dalton, Southend deputy coroner: “Your efforts were very valiant.” A verdict of the accidental drowning was recorded in the death of Charles Edwin Joseph Benton, 46, who was employed at a photographic firm. He died near the wreck of Mulberry Harbour, off the beach at Thorpe Bay. Mr Benton, described by his wife as “a big healthy and active, keen on the water but not a strong swimmer,” was brought to shore by Donald Atkinson of Winchmore Hill. 1979 Police were hunting for a brave have-a-go hero who tackled armed bandits in a bid to stop a £25,000 robbery. The mystery man lashed out at a vicious shotgun gang when they swooped on security guards outside at Elm Park bank. Detectives praised his courage and appealed for him to come forward, The drama began when a Security Express van arrived outside the National Westminster Bank in Elm parade, St Nicholas Avenue at 10.20am to deliver cash. Two guards left the van to walk towards the bank and were pounced on by four men with sawn-off shotguns. One grabbed the cash bag and started to run off. But one of the guards jumped on his back, and threatened to shoot if he didn’t let him go. The mystery hero then ran to help the guards and punched one of the gang. 1999 A pair of armed robbers held up a Securicor van with a gun and are believed to have made off with around £70,000. The terrifying attack happened around 10am outside the Abbey National bank, in Station Parade, Elm Park. It is believed the robbers shoved a Securicor guard up against the side of the van and threatened him with a handgun, while another guard inside the van passed out money through the hatch. Securicor was offering a reward of up to £10,000 for information leading to arrest and conviction. A witness said: “It was really frightening, these two men started shouting and waving a gun. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing, then they just ran off. I was quite shaky because I didn’t know where they were going to run to or to what they were going to do next - it was awful.”

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists