Cup of cheer for Kelvedon Hatch

PUBLISHED: 10:30 09 April 2015

Kelvedon Hatch celebrate winning the Essex Premier Cup at Ship Lane (pic:

Kelvedon Hatch celebrate winning the Essex Premier Cup at Ship Lane (pic:


Essex Premier Cup: Catholic United 0 Kelvedon Hatch 2

Kelvedon Hatch lifted the Essex Saturday Premier Cup at Ship Lane last night to banish the heartache suffered in last year’s final.

Beaten by Newbury Forest 12 months ago, despite enjoying the better of the 2014 final, they took the lead after only 10 seconds as James Burt punished an error from Catholic goalkeeper Brentton Muhammad.

Michael Daniels added the second early in the second half as the Olympian League Premier Division title hopefuls held off their Division Three rivals, who could be proud of the part they played in a competitive final.

“This is the one we wanted!” said Hatch boss Darren Hunt. “It perhaps wasn’t a vintage performance from us, but in a cup final it’s all about the result and we were handed an early gift which certainly helped us.

“After that the second goal - we had one like that against us last season - was a superb strike. No-one’s saving that!”

Daniels hammered a 20-yard shot into the top left-hand corner and it came as something of a relief to Hatch, who were pushed all the way by a spirited Catholic side. Hunt added: “I think we were more clinical than Catholic, but they’ve given us a game and we’re delighted to keep a clean sheet, which is our fourth in a row.

“You can see we’re delighted to have come away victorious this year.”

Hatch’s quick opener came about after Muhammad struggled to grasp onto as bouncing ball and, as it slithered from his grasp, Burt was on-hand to give his side a dream start in front of a crowd of 278.

Catholic came close midway through the first half as Hatch goalkeeper Michael Wakefield tipped Mark Reddaway’s effort over the top before Sean Foy’s angled attempt dipped just over.

But Hatch went within a whisker of doubling their lead when Chris Neville’s shot was cleared off the line following Chris Muir’s free kick, while Wakefield made another good stop at the other end to push a further Reddaway attempt over.

Catholic’s Alex Disch squandered a good opportunity on the stroke of half time as he stabbed Reddaway’s tee-up into the gloves of Wakefield and, within six minutes of the restart, that miss was rued as Hatch grabbed their second.

The ball fell loose to Daniels, who thumped a first-time strike into the top corner from outside the penalty area.

Catholic continued to battle, Disch flashing a 15-yard shot inches over the top following a Tom Kearney free kick and another Kearney set-piece saw James Foy’s header nodded off the line.

But their efforts were in vein and, in the dying moments, Muhammad brilliantly prevented a third Hatch goal as he denied the on-rushing Burt.

Catholic United: Brentton Muhammad, John Nutman, Ronnie Bridges, Craig Roberts (Jack Jones 40) (Patrick Kearney 84), Brad Vaughan, Alex Disch, Sean Foy (Remi Awosanya 58), Mark Reddaway, James Foy, Tom Kearney, Mark Baptist. Unused subs: Steve Finnin, Dale Sands.

Kelvedon Hatch: Michael Wakefield, Wayne Semanshia, Jack Munroe, Billy Munroe, Daniel Tapper, Chris Neville, Garry Smith (John Warne 80), Lee Cody, Michael Daniels, Chris Muir (Jordan Wilson 84), James Burt (Jack Davis 90+2). Unused subs: Ben Gardner, Jamie Southon.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder