Bostik North: Romford 0 Potters Bar Town 0

PUBLISHED: 17:38 14 April 2018 | UPDATED: 17:42 14 April 2018

Romford are off the bottom of the league after a 0-0 draw against Potters Bar Town.

Romford are off the bottom of the league after a 0-0 draw against Potters Bar Town.


Romford lifted themselves off the bottom of the Bostik Football League North Division with a hard fought point against promotion hopefuls Potters Bar Town.

Romford are now unbeaten in their last six games.Romford are now unbeaten in their last six games.

Relegation rivals Norwich United lost 3-1 against Barking which meant a point was enough for them to move above the Norfolk side.

Potters Bar started the game well and after eight minutes striker Michael Murray came close when he bent his free-kick from just outside of the box wide of the Romford goal.

Kai Heather and Ernest Okoh linked up well down the right hand side after 13 minutes but Okoh’s cross come shot was easily held by Laurencin in the Scholar’s goal.

Nick Reynolds header at the back post was whiskers away from breaking the deadlock after 18 minutes as he rose above the Potters Bar centre half to meet a cross from Sam Mvemba.

Another great drilled ball from Mvemba found Reynolds in the middle again after 26 minutes and Romford’s top goalscorer should have scored but his header was straight at Laurencin.

If it had been either side of the stopper it would have been a goal.

On the half hour mark Murray slid the ball through to Sandro Costas Dias Fernandes who forced Romford keeper Rob Budd into making a good save with his feet.

A few minutes later Romford stopper Budd made another two great saves in quick succession to keep the home side in the game.

The best chance of the first half fell to Ayedeji Olukoga after 36 minutes when the ball was pulled back to him by Carlos Djalo So, but the Boro midfielder ballooned the ball over the bar.

It was a feisty start to the second half with both teams flying into tackles and individual battles coming out all over the pitch.

In the 65th minute Romford fans thought that Okoh had broke the deadlock as he got past Andrew Lomas with some quick feet but instead of firing into the top corner his shot hit the the side netting.

Three minutes later Dias Fernandes was brought down right on the edge of the Romford box but Murray fired the resulting free-kick out of the ground and into the car park.

With 13 minutes left to play a great last ditch sliding tackle from James Budden denied Ernest Okoh his second goal in as many games for the Boro.

After spending a few weeks on the sideline substitute Mario Gjini came off the bench for the last ten minutes and his quick feet nearly undid the Potters Bar back line but he was denied by a good save from Berkley Laurencin.

It was a feisty final ten minutes for both teams, and after the final whistle both teams nearly came to blows, but the great escape is still on for Romford while Potters Bar left frustrated after not being able to get a real foot in the game.

Romford: Budd, Nzenga, Mvemba, Potter, Okoye, Cossington, Olukoga, Heather (Taylor 81), Reynolds (Marfo 73), Djalo So, Okoh (Gjini 84).

Subs not used: Onokwai, Clarke.

Potters Bar: Laurencin, Wambeek, Lomas, O’Leary, Budden, Grace, Nicholas (Ward-Cochrane 65), Adcock, Murray, Casey, Dias Fernandes.

Subs not used: Lawal, Boxer, Ogunsola, Meinoa.

Attendance: 118

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder