Boxing: Five Star duo chase national titles
- Credit: Archant
Five Star’s Tyler Sharpe and Oladimeji Shittu will both be bidding for national titles this weekend.
Shittu earned a 4-1 split decision against Oliver Ralph (Parkstone) in their National Association of Boys & Girls Clubs Championships semi-final on Saturday and faces Josh Martin (Stoke) in Altrincham on Sunday.
Coach Eddie Kelly said: "Whatever the result, I'm just so proud of this boy. He only took boxing serious in March but I'm confident he can do it. This boy is a special talent."
Sharpe faced tricky Welsh southpaw Kieron Wilson (Clwyd BC) in his semi-final on Sunday and commanded the centre of the ring from the start.
Wilson took a standing eight count in the first two rounds, before the referee stopped the contest and Sharpe will face Clayton's Kai Morley, who has had 60 bouts, in Bridlington on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
Kelly added: "I believe this will be a cracking contest with non-stop action. I have faith Tyler will be too clever for his opponent and will be bringing that national title home.
"He has only had 13 bouts, winning 12 of them, and will have a very bright future in boxing."
- 1 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 2 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 3 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 4 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 5 Town centre app launches to entice shoppers to Romford
- 6 Why Romford MP is allowed to keep names of donors secret
- 7 Romford Tesco Extra plants trees to offset car emissions
- 8 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 9 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
- 10 May 17: What can't open when Covid-19 lockdown rules ease?