Essex cut Abu Dhabi tour short
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Essex County Cricket Club have announced they will be returning home early from their pre-season tour of Abu Dhabi.
A statement released earlier on Friday revealed they would not be travelling on to Sri Lanka for the MCC Champion County match in Galle, but would continue their training camp having flown out on Monday.
The defending champions were due to stay until March 21, but after considering the current situation, with the Premier and Football League postponing their seasons until the weekend of April 4, a decision was taken to return to Chelmsford this weekend.
Chief executive Derek Bowden said: 'We have been monitoring the COVID-19 situation for a while and although the area we're based in is currently one of the least affected regions, the health and wellbeing of our players and staff is our highest priority as is the season ahead.
'Therefore, the decision has been made for everybody to return early and to continue with pre-season preparations at Chelmsford.
You may also want to watch:
'We'd like to thank and acknowledge the members and fans who were planning on making the trip to support the team in both Abu Dhabi and Sri Lanka.'
- 1 Rainham gang members jailed for stealing 'over 130' vehicles
- 2 Plans for 1,380 homes on Waterloo Estate granted after tight vote
- 3 Strategy is to tackle 'persistent problem' of abandoned trolleys in Romford
- 4 Ex-councillor under investigation over Green Belt building works
- 5 Tributes paid to well-loved Romford market fruit-seller
- 6 Campaigners launch petition to keep Emerson Park in Hornchurch constituency
- 7 Six green spaces to enjoy in Havering
- 8 From 100 steps to 10,000: Romford woman tackles serious health issues by losing third of body weight
- 9 Death of Daniel Laskos far from isolated as London teen killings surge
- 10 Romford head chefs set for cook-off as finalists in national awards