Essex boys ease through

PUBLISHED: 12:00 11 November 2015

Essex under-18s celebrate a goal (pic: Robert Craven/

Essex under-18s celebrate a goal (pic: Robert Craven/


FA County Youth Cup: Essex 3 Berks & Bucks 0

Action from Essex under-18s clash with Buckinghamshire (pic: Robert Craven/ from Essex under-18s clash with Buckinghamshire (pic: Robert Craven/

Essex eased into the third round of the FA County Youth Cup for the fourth successive season after Berks & Bucks were beaten at Thurrock’s Ship Lane home.

There was a brace for Chelmsford City forward Joe O’Hare and Horchurch youngster Matthew Bentley also added to his first round hat-trick as all the goals came in the first half to set up a first ever meeting with holders Cheshire at the next stage a fortnight before Christmas.

Having also seen two penalties saved by visiting goalkeeper Louis Muddyman, as well as striking the post on three occasions, Essex may feel the final scoreline should have been more emphatic.

However, they will certainly take plenty of confidence from a dominant performance now they move into the toughest stages of the competition.

Essex grabbed the lead as early as the third minute when O’Hare controlled the ball and bent a fine effort into the top corner from 20 yards.

It was 2-0 on eight minutes as O’Hare’s shot was blocked prior to being chipped back into the danger area by Lewis Jaggs for Bentley to nod in at the far post.

A good Essex move then saw Bentley tee up Oliver Hanlon, who fired inches past the far post before a first opening for the visitors resulted in home goalkeeper Joe Bowles denying Ramel King.

Moments later, Essex’s Tarryn Allarakhia brought a brilliant save from Muddyman and O’Hare smashed against the post from the resulting corner.

Essex struck the post again on 22 minutes as Solomon Ogunwomoji burst through and hit the foot of the far upright with an angled shot.

An audacious dipping shot from Berks & Bucks skipper Hayden Clack also forced a superb stop from Bowles, who tipped over the top.

But a third Essex goal arrived on 36 minutes, with O’Hare latching onto a through ball, progressing past Muddyman and tapping home.

The hosts rued their first penalty miss in stoppage time as Allarakhia’s spot-kick prompted an excellent double stop from Muddyman.

The second penalty denied O’Hare a hat-trick when Muddyman guessed correctly again moments after the forward had chipped a lob against the post.

Essex then twice went close to adding a fourth goal, as O’Hare made Muddyman save his effort and the loose ball was picked up by Jaggs, who shot just wide.

Further opportunities for the home side fell to Max Watters, chipping just wide, before the closing stages saw both O’Hare and Oliver Hanlon shoot just off target.

Essex: Joe Bowles (Hornchurch), Regan Mead (Tilbury), Oliver Hanlon (Tilbury), Lee Green (Halstead Town) (Max Watters [Shenfield School], 53), George O’Connor (Hornchurch), Jamie Price (East Thurrock), Lewis Jaggs (Tilbury) (Andy Fennell [Chelmsford City], 68), Solomon Ogunwomoji (Barking Abbey School) (Amar Lewis [Chelmsford City], 53), Joe O’Hare (Chelmsford City), Matthew Bentley (Hornchurch), Tarryn Allarakhia (Aveley). Unused Substitutes: James Alborough (Brentwood Town), Adam Topley (Concord Rangers).

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder