Upminster Cricket Club’s unbeaten record is ended by Essex League Premier Division Champions Chelmford Cricket Club

PUBLISHED: 11:30 28 June 2016

Upminster captain Alan Ison (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Upminster captain Alan Ison (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

Alan Ison’s team made poor start at Chelmer Park and despite recovering are unable to progress in the League Cup

Upminster suffered their first defeat since May 29 on Sunday after losing to Chelmsford in the third round of the Essex League Cup.

A meeting with local rivals Hornchurch was on offer in the next round, but Alan Ison’s team were all out for 82 inside 30 overs.

Premier Division Champions Chelmsford reached their target in the 20th over for the loss of just two wickets to progress.

Alan Ison won the toss at Chelmer Park and decided to bat first, but Shahbaz Butt went for a first-ball duck off the bowling of Ben Clifford.

Vice-captain Frankie Hazle only last four balls and departed without scoring to the same bowler as Upminster were 1-2.

Unfortunately the skipper was then run out for a single by Ben Clifford to leave his team struggling on 5-3.

Opener Nicky Ison was still at the other end, but watched Connor Whetstone depart having scored eight off 15.

The eldest of the Ison’s then joined his brother in the pavilion after he was run out for 10 off 33 balls.

Upminster were 25-5 and it was to get worst one ball later as wicket-keeper Farid Butt went for a golden duck.

Ex-first team captain Ollie Peck’s stay at the crease didn’t last long before Arun Kullar was joined by John Curtis.

Curtis, who skippered the team last year, set about trying to rebuild the innings with Kullar.

Unfortunately Kullar was out for eight to leave the Division One team in serious trouble on 46-8.

Billy Wright was next in and put up a fight with Curtis as the pair put on 31 for the ninth wicket at Chelmer Park.

Wright went for 12 off 30 balls after being bowled by James Clifford and Oliver White suffered the same fate – out for a seven-ball duck.

Upminster were dismissed for 82 with Curtis unbeaten on 32 having lasted 49 balls and hit two boundaries.

It was never likely to be enough against the Premier Division champions, but Peck and Wright opened the bowling.

After going for 14 off his two overs, Wright was replaced by Connor Whetstone as Ison eyed a breakthrough.

Peck delivered it by having Gary Chidley caught by Curtis for 11 off 23 balls to leave the hosts on 32-1.

White was introduced by Ison after and he made another breakthrough by bowling Chelmsford opener Chris Prowting for 22.

It wasn’t to be enough for Upminster, though, but they fought back well against the Premier side despite not being able to field their strongest XI.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder