Cricket: Goresbrook, Ardleigh Green & Havering get off to winning starts

PUBLISHED: 07:25 14 May 2019 | UPDATED: 07:25 14 May 2019

The 2019 cricket season is underway

The 2019 cricket season is underway


Goresbrook got life in Shepherd Neame Essex League Division Three off to a winning start with success at West Essex.

And Ardleigh Green & Havering also earned a comfortable victory on the opening day of the season, but Woodford Green were beaten.

Put into bat by their hosts after losing the toss, Brook lost openers Joe Curley without scoring and Kurt Whisker cheaply to find themselves in early trouhle at 7-2.

But young Danny Gilham was joined by captain Shane Barwick and they set about rebuilding the innings with a patient third-wicket stand worth 126.

Gilham hit four fours in his 44 from 86 balls, while Barwick smacked five sixes and 11 fours on his way to a superb 105 off just 98 deliveries.

Jordan Calverley (28) also chipped in, with Stuart Greaves and Arul Gopalsamy reaching double figures as Brook closed on 223-7 from 47 overs.

Gopalsamy (3-18) then made early inroads with the ball to reduce the home side to 24-3, before Gilham and Kane Messenger struck in quick succession to leave them 74-5.

Barwick and Billy Smith got in on the act with the next two wickets to fall as West Essex slipped to 116-7.

You may also want to watch:

And the last three wickets fell without addition to the total as Gilham (2-16) nabbing another scalp before Barwick (3-18) finished off a superb all-round display.

Ardleigh Green put Walthamstow into bat at Central Park and, after a short rain delay, proceeded to dismiss the visitors for just 73 in 32 overs.

Shawn Harvey (4-21) finished as the pick of the bowling, as Liam Brooks (3-35), Sam Brooks (2-2) and James Walker (1-1) also had success.

The home side lost three wickets in reaching their target in just 18 overs in reply, after opening duo Scott Jackson (21) and Paul Hurworth (29) made a steady start, with stand-in captain Chris Cook and Luke Edwards finishing the task.

Woodford Green travelled to Chalkwell Park to take on Westcliff, who got a full allocation of 50 overs to reach 216-7.

Amit Ryatt shone with the ball for the visitors, taking 6-67 from his 15-over spell, but after a rain shower during the tea interval, David Hewitt was in fine form for Westcliff.

Hewitt (5-20) ran through the Green top order as they collapsed to 45-6, with only opener Samir Mohammed (20) reaching double figures.

Ryatt hit a six and four fours in a cameo 22 off 11 balls, with Matthew Field offering late resistance.

Field hit a six and six fours in his 42 from 58 balls before he was last man out with the total on 139.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder

1959 A 16-year-old Hornchurch boy who tried - and failed - to rescue his father from drowning at Southend was praised at the inquest this week for his courage. David Benton, of Northumberland Avenue, Hornchurch and a friend. Arthur Frederick Suckling, 17, of Factory Road, Romford, who helped in the rescue attempt, were told by Mr A. J. Dalton, Southend deputy coroner: “Your efforts were very valiant.” A verdict of the accidental drowning was recorded in the death of Charles Edwin Joseph Benton, 46, who was employed at a photographic firm. He died near the wreck of Mulberry Harbour, off the beach at Thorpe Bay. Mr Benton, described by his wife as “a big healthy and active, keen on the water but not a strong swimmer,” was brought to shore by Donald Atkinson of Winchmore Hill. 1979 Police were hunting for a brave have-a-go hero who tackled armed bandits in a bid to stop a £25,000 robbery. The mystery man lashed out at a vicious shotgun gang when they swooped on security guards outside at Elm Park bank. Detectives praised his courage and appealed for him to come forward, The drama began when a Security Express van arrived outside the National Westminster Bank in Elm parade, St Nicholas Avenue at 10.20am to deliver cash. Two guards left the van to walk towards the bank and were pounced on by four men with sawn-off shotguns. One grabbed the cash bag and started to run off. But one of the guards jumped on his back, and threatened to shoot if he didn’t let him go. The mystery hero then ran to help the guards and punched one of the gang. 1999 A pair of armed robbers held up a Securicor van with a gun and are believed to have made off with around £70,000. The terrifying attack happened around 10am outside the Abbey National bank, in Station Parade, Elm Park. It is believed the robbers shoved a Securicor guard up against the side of the van and threatened him with a handgun, while another guard inside the van passed out money through the hatch. Securicor was offering a reward of up to £10,000 for information leading to arrest and conviction. A witness said: “It was really frightening, these two men started shouting and waving a gun. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing, then they just ran off. I was quite shaky because I didn’t know where they were going to run to or to what they were going to do next - it was awful.”

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists