Essex League Division One: Woodford Wells captain Jon Gaffney confident players will deliver against Gidea Park & Romford

PUBLISHED: 17:00 24 May 2018

Jon Gaffney in bowling action for Woodford Wells (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo).

Jon Gaffney in bowling action for Woodford Wells (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo).

Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League images are subject to DataCo Licencing restrictions

Gareth James will skipper the side against their local rivals this weekend and they are keen to bounce back after a loss at Harold Wood

Woodford Wells captain Jon Gaffney has backed the team to impress in his absence at home to Gidea Park & Romford in the Essex League Division One this weekend.

The skipper is away in the USA for the new two week so all-rounder Gareth James will step up and lead the side on Saturday at Monkhams Lane.

Wells host Gidea Park, who are full of confidence after an excellent victory over relegated outfit Upminster last time out.

Even though Gaffney’s men lost away to Harold Wood on Saturday, he is positive there will be a good response this weekend and a first league victory of the new term is not too far away.

He said: “It won’t be an easy game at all, but it is the sort of fixture we need to be winning at home.

“I am a bit disappointed because I am away for the next two weeks, so it will be the first league game I’ve missed for quite a while.

“Gareth is stepping in to captain the side and this is a match I believe and hope we can win and if we perform well I’m sure we will come away with a result.

“Fair play to Gidea Park, they got a really good victory against Upminster last week, so we know we will have to play well to get anything out of the game.”

Gaffney was left frustrated with Wells’ eight-wicket loss at Harold Wood on Saturday after some slightly unusual tactics from the hosts.

Home captain Craig Perrin decided to put nine men on the boundary when James was well set in the forties and although he reached 60, the away skipper found it strange.

Wells were then dismissed for 199 with opener Joe Johnson scoring 57, but no one else other than James passed 27 – the third top score by Chris Hall.

Harold Wood knocked the runs off for the loss of just two wickets as Gaffney (2-22) could only watch on as Hafiz Afzal guided the hosts’ home with an unbeaten 96.

The Wells captain said: “Going into this weekend we have to learn some lessons from this. We need to be a bit stronger and resilient to those types of situations and we’ve got to bowl a bit better.

“I think the scorecard tells a slightly different story to how the actual game went because I don’t think it does our performance justice.

“There were plenty of positives to take including Chris Hall’s cameo with the bat which helped push us past 150 and with the ball Chris bowled well and Gareth was fantastic and was unplayable at times, so he was unlucky to get zero wickets.

“Gareth was bowling the low end of 80mph on a fairly slow pitch, so that was fantastic and he was moving the ball sideways, so we can take a lot of positives.

“On another day I think we would have got something out of the game and we need to take them positives into this weekend and bowl a bit sharper and if we do that I don’t think we are too far away.

“We are disappointed about the Harold Wood defeat, but we’ll look to learn from it and take it into our next game with Gidea Park.”

Related articles

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder

1959 A 16-year-old Hornchurch boy who tried - and failed - to rescue his father from drowning at Southend was praised at the inquest this week for his courage. David Benton, of Northumberland Avenue, Hornchurch and a friend. Arthur Frederick Suckling, 17, of Factory Road, Romford, who helped in the rescue attempt, were told by Mr A. J. Dalton, Southend deputy coroner: “Your efforts were very valiant.” A verdict of the accidental drowning was recorded in the death of Charles Edwin Joseph Benton, 46, who was employed at a photographic firm. He died near the wreck of Mulberry Harbour, off the beach at Thorpe Bay. Mr Benton, described by his wife as “a big healthy and active, keen on the water but not a strong swimmer,” was brought to shore by Donald Atkinson of Winchmore Hill. 1979 Police were hunting for a brave have-a-go hero who tackled armed bandits in a bid to stop a £25,000 robbery. The mystery man lashed out at a vicious shotgun gang when they swooped on security guards outside at Elm Park bank. Detectives praised his courage and appealed for him to come forward, The drama began when a Security Express van arrived outside the National Westminster Bank in Elm parade, St Nicholas Avenue at 10.20am to deliver cash. Two guards left the van to walk towards the bank and were pounced on by four men with sawn-off shotguns. One grabbed the cash bag and started to run off. But one of the guards jumped on his back, and threatened to shoot if he didn’t let him go. The mystery hero then ran to help the guards and punched one of the gang. 1999 A pair of armed robbers held up a Securicor van with a gun and are believed to have made off with around £70,000. The terrifying attack happened around 10am outside the Abbey National bank, in Station Parade, Elm Park. It is believed the robbers shoved a Securicor guard up against the side of the van and threatened him with a handgun, while another guard inside the van passed out money through the hatch. Securicor was offering a reward of up to £10,000 for information leading to arrest and conviction. A witness said: “It was really frightening, these two men started shouting and waving a gun. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing, then they just ran off. I was quite shaky because I didn’t know where they were going to run to or to what they were going to do next - it was awful.”

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists