Cricket: Title delight for Harold Wood Disability
- Credit: Archant
Harold Wood Disability cricket team rounded off a successful season by winning the Essex Foundation League at Basildon Sporting Village.
The competition contained three other disability teams from across the county, Basildon, Saffron Walden and Springfield, with matches played indoors and outdoors from February.
Each club holds a festival where games are played between the teams and points are awarded for wins and participation.
Players can be any age and have either a physical or learning disability, with Wood having three wheelchair users participatinng fully in their games and training sessions.
And Wood ensured they would be crowned champions after winning the last game of the final tournament against Springfield by 38 runs to take the title.
You may also want to watch:
Coach Keith Donovan said: “The league was keenly contested this year by all teams. All participants whatever their disability thoroughly enjoyed the festivals.
“Harold Wood shone through at the end through the hard work and training they have put in over the year.”
- 1 Teen hospitalised after being stabbed in Upminster
- 2 Public detain male in street after alleged bid to rob Rainham shop
- 3 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 4 Romford school prepped for another 100 years as major renovation works end
- 5 Trust celebrating Hornchurch history opens new permanent heritage centre
- 6 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 7 Woman who struggled to walk with 'excruciating pain’ to run London Marathon
- 8 Hospitality Hero: 'Biggest prize is appreciation,' says tearoom owner
- 9 Report found Town Hall response to alleged sexual harassment case 'disturbing'
- 10 Inadequate-graded Rainham care home reported to CQC by own staff
Captain James Horsley added: “It’s brilliant to win it. It was a fantastic opportunity for me to captain the side. Well done lads!”
The team followed up that success by supplying eight team members to the Essex super nines squad which won the county championship title by beating Wales in the final at Kidderminster.
Harold Wood: Ryan Farrell, Alex Munro, Charlie Smith-Galer, James Horsley (captain), Benny Fryett, Jamie Torr, Bradley Savil, Oliver Beadle, Keith Donovan (coach).
For anyone interested in playing please email email@example.com.
n Harold Wood’s women beat Colchester by seven wickets in their play-off clash, after dismissing the visitors for 67 on Sunday.
And Wood’s men are looking to end their season with some silverware as they take on Barking-based club Scintilla in the Essex Sunday League final at Chelmsford on Sunday (12pm).