Clockhouse ladies win national fours title in Leamington
- Credit: Bob Pudney
Clockhouse ladies fours were crowned National champions to build on the success of winning the county finals just last week.
The ladies travelled to Leamington for the National Finals where they were representing Essex in three events.
On the opening day, Hayley Kenny, Michelle Squires, Serena Madgewick and skip Rebecca Smith started their campaign in the fours competition.
A first-round win against Lancashire (17-9), followed by a 22-11 win against Derbyshire put them through to the next day's quarter-finals where they had a 14-6 win over Gloucestershire.
The closest match followed with a 13-12 semi-final win over Surrey, decided on the last end, which put them through to the final against Cornwall.
A slow start had them trailing 13-7 after nine ends, but then the recovery started with Cornwall denied any further shots and the Essex girls taking the remaining six ends to win 20-13 and take the National fours title.
Saturday saw the start of the triples competition, where Kenny, Michelle Carlin and Smith had a comfortable preliminary round win over Northants by 26-8, however the run could not be maintained and they went out by a close run 15-12 loss to Hertfordshire.
- 1 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 2 'Crucial' consultation begins on proposed changes to Lower Thames Crossing project
- 3 Here are five top-rated delicious 'cheap eats' in Havering, according to Tripadvisor
- 4 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Havering
- 5 TfL consultation opens on plans to extend ULEZ into Greater London
- 6 As many as 15 injured in Gidea Park bus crash
- 7 TOWIE stars and West Ham footballer attend Upminster health centre's launch
- 8 'Irreversible stress': Nearly 2,000 oppose move to suspend Cranham and Upminster midwifery service
- 9 Have your say: End of consultation on plans for 860 Romford homes looms
- 10 Local election 2022: 86-year-old couple 'disgusted' as post vote arrives after polling day
Smith will start her singles campaign on Wednesday.