Byron Eagles bag more tournament silverware
- Credit: Archant
Under-sevens beat Aveley rivals in thrilling final
Byron Red Star Eagles under-sevens celebrated their second tournament win of the summer at the weekend.
After comfortably winning all of their group games, by 1-0, 4-0, 3-1 and 6-0 margins, they went into the final against Aveley.
Byron started well and went ahead after Liam Battrum combined well with Leo Leborgne on the right to set up Owen Hutchinson who smashed the ball straight into the top of the net.
Aveley grabbed a quick equaliser soon after, but Byron began to get their passing game going and Chibuzo Okoli skipped around two rival players to set up Louie King, who calmly tucked the ball into the bottom corner.
Byron were pegged back for a second time by Aveley, but Lennie Nicholson worked hard in defence to keep the opposition at bay and George London kept his concentration in goal.
And as the match drew to a close it looked like a penalty shoot-out would be needed to determine a winner, when Hutchinson had other ideas and scored with a superb strike to seal a 3-2 win and more silverware for Byron.
- 1 Car park killing: John Avers the 'best friend' of hitman, court hears
- 2 Man and woman arrested following Hornchurch stabbing
- 3 Construction company asks to make changes to approved 40-flat development in Romford
- 4 Rainham road closed as tactic to stop flytipping
- 5 'Pupils love coming here': Romford primary school retains 'good' rating
- 6 Mum-of-two honoured by US president Joe Biden
- 7 Tribute paid to father one year after death in council hostel
- 8 Two Havering councillors to stand down at next election
- 9 Plans to convert hotel into housing rejected despite residents' support
- 10 Plan for homes next to listed Hornchurch water tower rumoured to cover monks’ escape tunnel
Byron: London, King, Nicholson, Leborgne, Battrum, Okoli, Hutchinson.