Column: You get what you deserve as West Ham seal victory at Burnley
- Credit: PA
Sometimes in football you get exactly what you deserve, David Moyes named a bold, attacking side at Turf Moor and that reflected in the performance and the result.
We battered Burnley and really should’ve won the game in a far more comfortable fashion; nevertheless the result is all that mattered.
There is so much character, fight and desire in this West Ham side and its inspiring to watch, once again we were the last game of the weekend, we witnessed Chelsea extend the gap to fourth spot to six points and we were leap frogged by Spurs.
The pressure was well and truly on, and on top of that we had to come from behind after losing our last two games…all in a day’s work for this Hammers vintage.
There were so many great performances at Burnley it’s hard to single anyone out, needless to say Said Benrahma took his chance, Michail Antonio looked like he’d never been away and Craig Dawson put in his best display for a while but perhaps greatest of all was Manuel Lanzini.
You may also want to watch:
The ‘Jewel’ rolled back the years with an impressive performance in central midfield, dictating play with his passing, touch, control and vision. On the evidence of this display the Argentine playmaker’s days at the London Stadium might not be numbered.
We are now just three points behind Chelsea and their next game is Manchester City at the Etihad, we cannot waste this chance, we must beat Everton and capitalise on any dropped points.
- 1 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 2 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 3 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 4 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 5 Town centre app launches to entice shoppers to Romford
- 6 Why Romford MP is allowed to keep names of donors secret
- 7 Romford Tesco Extra plants trees to offset car emissions
- 8 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 9 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
- 10 One teenager dead in Harold Wood triple stabbing
In all probability they thought it was all over after they beat Fulham, they will be gutted with this result and they know they cannot afford to slip up.
We must stick with the attacking ethos that served us so well against the Clarets when we take on the Toffees. However, we need to re-discover our ruthlessness in front of goal.
We will be punished on Sunday if we waste the amount of chances that we squandered at Turf Moor; Burnley lacked the attacking quality to punish us. Everton won’t be so charitable.
With just four games to go and against all odds the dream is still alive; a seat at European football’s top table is not a step too far.