Cricket: Old Brentwoods keep title bid on track
- Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo
Old Brentwoods kept their Shepherd Neame Essex League Division Three title bid on track with a hard-fought win over Benfleet.
Put into bat, they lost Ramesh Gunalan cheaply but saw Nahed Patel hit 43 off just 31 balls, with two sixes and seven fours.
Captain Baber Choudhary added 73 for the third wicket with Nazim Hussain, hitting nine fours in his 59.
And Hussain put on 84 with Minhaz Bhad (37), hitting 12 fours in his 74 from 96 balls, before Brentwoods slipped from 236-4 to 272 all out in the 47th over.
Bhad made an early breakthrough with the ball in Benfleet’s reply, with Arsalan Khan producing two runs to end successive half-century stands and leave the visitors 116-3.
You may also want to watch:
Khan also ended the innings of Samuel Coelho, who hit 81 off 73 balls and put on 96 with Sam Rowe, who fell to Ishaq Khan (2-45) soon after.
Choudhary also had success with the ball as Brentwoods held their rivals to 257-7.
- 1 Covid 'past the peak' at Queen's and King George hospitals
- 2 Can you help find Ricky Wellington, last seen on January 22 in Hornchurch?
- 3 Watch police break up 20-person Hornchurch baby shower
- 4 Leaked council email casts doubt over Brookside theatre's future
- 5 De Rougemont Hotel plans to revert to being homes
- 6 Debenhams, Liberty Centre, to permanently close
- 7 Charity launches new 'pantry' - free shop for parents in need
- 8 Pub owner 'drilled through cables' weeks before boy was electrocuted, court told
- 9 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
- 10 Watch police fine seven in Romford for watching TV together