Search

Lynes delighted to see Lucy make winning start on her British debut at Brentwood

PUBLISHED: 11:30 23 November 2018

Colin Lynes with Lucy Wildheart

Colin Lynes with Lucy Wildheart

Archant

Hornchurch's Colin Lynes was delighted to see Lucy Wildheart win her first bout under his guidance at the Brentwood centre on Saturday.

The 25-year-old Swedish fighter had joined forces with former IBO world champion Lynes earlier this year and had been training at his Hornchurch & Elm Park club for her British debut.

And Wildheart earned a unanimous points win over former Scottish amateur champion Elaine Greenan, after a tough contest.

Lynes said: “I picked the opponent for it to be a real contest and that is exactly what we got.

“Lucy and I chatted about not needing or wanting to spend 18 months padding out a record that is not a real reflection of where she’s at or going to get to.

“Her crisp, more accurate punching got her off to a great start but with the relentless Scot not backing off at all, the contest was still up for grabs going into the the later rounds.

“Lucy’s footwork and ability to punch at the perfect range won her the fight. Exactly what we have spent months working on. That was what was most pleasing for me.”

Wildheart’s win did not come without cost, though, as he experienced some muscle soreness as well as bruising to the side of her eye and face.

Lynes added: “Worryingly enough, she said she always wanted a black eye as a badge of honour, so to speak, to show she has been in a proper fight!

“Now she has that I don’t want any many more badges thank you! It’s onwards and upwards in the New Year and thanks to all that came to support Lucy. She sold the most tickets and is proving very popular amongst her fan base in her new location.”

*Romford’s former WBO International and Commonwealth cruiserweight champion Tony Conquest is back in action in Italy next Saturday (November 30).

Conquest, 34, goes up against WBC International Silver champion Fabio Turchi at the Teatro Obi Hall in Florence at the inaugural event of a partnership between Matchroom Boxing Italy, Opi Since 82 and DAZN, to be shown live on Sky Sports.

The eight-year venture will see Matchroom Boxing Italy stage eight marque events in Italy each year and world number 28 Turchi said: “It is an honour to be headlining the first ever Matchroom Boxing Italy event in my city.

“I’m keeping my feet firmly on the ground but I’m ready to do what I can to make boxing a maintstream sport in Italy.

“The first step is defeating Tony Conquest. I have been training hard in the gym and I will be leaving it all in the ring. I’ve seen videos of his fights and I know he has long arms and knows how to use them.

“Besides that, he is a British fighter and Britain always produces tough fighters.”

The 25-year-old Turchi has won all 15 of his fights since turning professional, with 11 inside the distance.

The Turchi-Conquest bout tops the bill on a big night of boxing in Florence, which also sees Brentwood’s former European champion Martin J Ward going up against Devis Boschiero for the WBC International Silver super-featherweight title.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists