Search

Boxing: Boy Jones Jr. vows to return 'better than ever' after losing Southern Area featherweight title

PUBLISHED: 14:30 03 March 2017

Boy Jones Jr goes on the attack (pic Natalie Mayhew/Butterfly Boxing)

Boy Jones Jr goes on the attack (pic Natalie Mayhew/Butterfly Boxing)

Archant

20-year-old suffered first defeat of career in losing to Craig Poxton

Sanjeev Sahota goes on the attack (pic Natalie Mayhew/Butterfly Boxing)Sanjeev Sahota goes on the attack (pic Natalie Mayhew/Butterfly Boxing)

Popular Boy Jones Jr. has vowed he will be back and better than ever after losing his Southern Area super-featherweight belt at York Hall.

In an early candidate for fight of the year, the 20-year-old, based at Harold Hill’s Five Star gym, was stopped in the 10th and final round of his brave battle against tough Craig Poxton of Lowestoft.

A first defeat in 13 pro outings was a disappointment for the six foot tall Jones, who is trained by Dominic Negus and Len Butcher at the Gooshays Drive gym.

However, there was certainly no need for apologies after his brave stand which came to an end just 30 seconds before the final bell.

Harley Benn celebrates his debut win (pic Natalie Mayhew/Butterfly Boxing)Harley Benn celebrates his debut win (pic Natalie Mayhew/Butterfly Boxing)

Referee Lee Cook rightly signalled the end after the weary champion had been floored twice by powerful 28-year-old Poxton, who had pressed forward through the fight.

Jones, though, came so close to victory a couple of rounds earlier when Poxton, who suffered a badly gashed eye, was reeling around the ring under a fierce onslaught.

Both brave fighters deserved credit after a thrilling contest and Jones, who does not reach 21 until December, may get his wish for a rematch.

Stablemates Sanjeev Sahota and Harley Benn came through as second-round winners against imported opponents Elemir Rafael and Dominik Zubko.

Hornchurch lightweight Sahota pleased his fans by pouring on the punches in a two-round stoppage win over Slovakian Rafael on the Frank Warren promotion, which was shown on BoxNation TV.

And there was also a winning pro debut for a third member of the Butcher/Negus stable in action at York Hall in 20-year-old Benn, son of former world champion Nigel.

Benn piled on the attacks against apprehensive Slovak Zubko, who was rescued by referee Jeff Hinds after 43 seconds of the second round.

*Hornchurch welterweight Colin Lynes is training hard and looking forward to his ring return at Brentwood on March 17.

The former British, European and IBO world title-holder, now 39, boxes for the first time in three years on the MTK promotions St Patrick’s night bill at Brentwood has enjoyed sparring with some top prospects.

Big-hitting Ohara Davies, who faces Derry Matthew on the David Haye v Tony Bellew bill at the O2 on Saturday, and Collier Row’s all-winning welterweight prospect Sam McNess have sparred with Lynes, who prepares at the Hainault base of new manager Peter Sims.

Lynes said: “I will have a couple of fights, then discuss my future with Peter – hopefully with a British title challenge ahead. But if we agree I haven’t got what it takes I will quit.”

Father-of-five Lynes works as a personal trainer and coaches young boxers at the Hornchurch club he first joined as a 10-year-old and also enjoyed a training camp in Portugal when Sims and brother Tony took a dozen fighters, including world champion Ricky Burns.

The MTK group, formerly MGM Marbella, plan regular shows at Brentwood, launching on March 17 when they also feature Paul and Sonny Upton, Matt McCarthy, Charlie Duffield, Freddie Turner and Tey Lynn Jones.

Lynes will have family and friends in the Brentwood crowd and said: “I’m looking forward to a good night. It looks like being a sell-out show.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists