Allardyce believes England striker can light up Upton Park
West Ham United manager Sam Allardyce believes Andy Carroll can become a star for the club
Andy Carroll can become a West Ham United hero, according to his manager Sam Allardyce.
The England striker endured a difficult first month with the club after picking up a hamstring injury less than 48 hours after completing a shock loan move from Premier League rivals Liverpool in August.
But Carroll, despite not scoring, has looked as good as ever this week in his two comeback outings for the Hammers.
An 18-minute cameo against Queens Park Rangers was followed by a sparkling 90-minute display against Arsenal.
You may also want to watch:
Yet, despite his dominance in the air against the Gunners – in both boxes – Allardyce believes Carroll can only get better as the Hammers fans take the big, burly Geordie to their hearts.
“Anybody that fears taking Andy Carroll is foolish, because this lad can only get better as time goes on,” said Allardyce.
- 1 Teenager injured after Hornchurch stabbing
- 2 Ex-councillor ordered to undo unauthorised green belt building works
- 3 Farnham and Hilldene Estate regeneration plans gather pace
- 4 Harold Hill neighbours still feeling effects of freak flooding
- 5 Complaint over elderly woman facing homelessness among those ombudsman upheld in 2020/21
- 6 Covid-19: Latest figures show almost 31,000 positive cases in Havering
- 7 'It was amazing': Birthday surprise vintage bus tour for woman with Down's syndrome
- 8 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 9 Rainham robbery: Boy, 14, suffers slash injury
- 10 12 Estates: How is the regeneration programme progressing?
“As long as we can keep giving him the service I think he is going to be a tremendous asset for us this season.
“I thought he had scored in the second half. That is why you get Andy Carroll in, he out-jumps the goalie. The goalie can use his hands to catch the ball and he goes and out-jumps him and just heads it wide and that is an open goal.
“That is why we have got him, he is an unbelievable player and I think he can only get better for us.”