All the action from Upminster bowls club finals weekend
- Credit: Archant
Morgan races to men’s Championship as Drewe is the ladies champion
It was finals weekend down at Upminster Bowls club and the top bowlers of the club did battle amid some terrible weather at times in the scramble for the trophies.
Gold stars and special mention must go to ladies’ captain Christina Allen and Kathy Penfold who played a high quality match, despite the rain falling like stair rods during and at the end of their match.
Frances Drewe proved to be the star of the weekend with two wins and two runners-up trophies including victory over Allen in the blue riband Ladies Championship final.
She also took the Lucy Davies Cup, beating Kathy Pinfold, while she was a runner-up to Jennifer Spearman-Adkins in the fixed jack and to Colin Coe in the prestigious Olympic Shield Final.
Tommy Hutton also had a good weekend, winning the men’s fixed jack over Tony Allen and the handicap over Jim Rook, who did bounce back on Sunday by taking the Wally Bourdon Cup against Peter Benson.
This year’s men’s champion is John Morgan.
- 1 Travel disruptions to look out for this week across east London
- 2 Twelve Havering properties sold for more than £1m in October
- 3 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 4 Heritage: How Gallows Corner got its sinister name
- 5 How The Apprentice's Thomas Skinner pivoted his business to weather Covid
- 6 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 7 Covid survivor, 16, urges people to get jabbed after months in hospital
- 8 Free parking to 'boost Havering's high streets' for Christmas season
- 9 Hanukkah 2021: Five ways to celebrate in east London
- 10 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
He dispatched Peter Drewe to take the title and also added the two-wood, overcoming Tony Allen.
Les Barns and Tony Allen triumphed over Peter Elliott and Vic Evans in the men’s pairs, while the women’s equivalent was won by Angela Durden and Penny Palfreyman who got the better of Angela Head and Marina Spicer.
Other finals saw Hina Patel beat Gerry O’Connor in the ladies’ Novices, while Mike Mott won the Men’s equivalent over Patrick Chalk.
To round things off for the weekend, Ron and Jo Gregory beat Eric and Pauline Collier in the Mixed Pairs.
There were two titles decided before the weekend, with the ladies two-wood decided on a league basis with Mary Bryant pipping Angela Head to the title.
While in the men’s triples Paddy Betson, Ken Cole and Tony Allen beat Dave Pulham, Charles Lawrence and Mark Stevenson.
Club spokesman Jo Gregory said: “Well done to all the finalists and a big thank you for those who braved the weather to support the players and for the markers and board turners.”