A new book on Essex County Cricket Memories has been released
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
A brand new book ‘Essex County Cricket Club Memories’ has been released to bring back the greatest memories of the county side after they were crowned champions of the County Championship last season.
The book has been produced by Essex-based duo Paul Hiscock and Tony McDonald and is seen as the first of its kind in county cricket.
It is a superb, lavishly illustrated, full colour, 372-page hardback book in which players past and present, club members and other supporters share their unique memories of playing and watching the club founded in 1876.
In a veritable feast of nostalgia, officially endorsed by Essex CCC, the authors turn back the clock to recall the key moments, matches, batsmen, bowlers, wicketkeepers, all-rounders, fielders and overseas stars who helped make this such a special, friendly club.
Spearheading the 25 players exclusively interviewed are legendary former England record-breaking batsman Graham Gooch, current England Test opener Alastair Cook, former England captain Nasser Hussain, respected title-winning skipper Keith Fletcher and stylish South African batsman Ken McEwan.
You may also want to watch:
Popular members from the trophy-winning seasons of the late 70s, 80s and early 90s John Lever, Stuart Turner, Ray East, David Acfield, Neil Foster, Brian Hardie, Mark Ilott, Ronnie Irani, Derek Pringle, Paul Prichard and John Childs also feature and recently retired Graham Napier, David Masters and Ashley Cowan recall their highs and lows.
Former England leg-spin bowler Robin Hobbs, Geoff Smith and Graham Saville evoke the bygone days of the pre-white ball era.
- 1 'Disgraceful': Ex-estate agent sentenced for Chris Whitty assault
- 2 Daniel Laskos stabbing: Teens plead not guilty to murder
- 3 Harold Hill man pleads guilty to Chris Whitty assault
- 4 Chronically ill Romford man's fight for diagnosis after being told problem is psychological
- 5 Lower Thames Crossing: How would Upminster be affected?
- 6 Road and rail disruptions coming up over the coming week
- 7 Meet the Olympians from east London and Brentwood
- 8 Romford ‘best in region’ chef shares his cooking tip and favourite dish
- 9 'Lovely service': Initial impressions of Kem Cetinay's restaurant Array
- 10 Daniel Laskos stabbing: Teens charged with murder to face court
As well as the thoughts of ‘Cookie’, read the views of current heroes Ravi Bopara, Ryan ten Doeschate and James Foster, fresh from their back-to-back triumphs as Division Two and Division One champions in 2016 and 2017 respectively.
But this mammoth volume is as much about the die-hard supporters as it is the players who have worn the three seaxes with flair, pride and distinction.
Essex CCC Memories is available (price £30, post-free in the UK) direct from the publisher online at www.insideedgebooks.com or by calling 01708 734 502.