HORNCHURCH boss Steve Morison is keeping his spirits high – despite enduring a rare week of frustration.

The table-topping Urchins were held to a 0-0 draw at home to Whitehawk on Saturday before having Tuesday night’s Isthmian League Premier Division clash at Concord Rangers postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

But Morison is remaining positive with his side still leading the way at the summit.

“Saturday was another point in the right direction,” he said.

“It was a bit frustrating we didn’t get the win but we had quite a few chances and I thought we played well. 

“They didn’t really trouble us too much and it’s another clean sheet which we’re pleased with as well.”

Table-topping Hornchurch remain unbeaten in the Isthmian Premier Division this season and have taken 45 points from 17 games.

But they were unable to add to that tally against Concord after the weather again intervened.

“It’s been called off three times there now so it’s really frustrating,” said Morison.

“The lads were really looking forward to the game as well but it is what it is and there’s nothing we can do about it.”

Hornchurch are without a game this weekend as their scheduled opponents, Billericay Town, take on Wealdstone in the third round of the FA Trophy.

But that does give the Urchins more time to prepare for their next clash, against second-placed Chatham Town in a top-of-the-table clash a week on Saturday.

“We’ve got a few training sessions between now and then so we’ll be ready for Chatham Town,” said Morison.

“We’ve been doing alright but there’s a long way to go and we know what our aim is at the end of it.

“We’re certainly not getting carried away and our aim is to remain as consistent as possible.

“That’s all we think about and the focus is very much always just on the next game.”

Hornchurch are currently nine points clear of Chatham with a game in hand on their closest title rivals.

But Morison’s side were unable to find a way past Whitehawk at the weekend as they failed to score for the first time this season. 

Visiting goalkeeper Mitch Walker produced a fine display between the sticks and did well to keep out a close range header from Ollie Muldoon midway through the first half.

After the break, Walker denied Liam Nash before the match officials paused the game to look at the condition of the pitch.

Once play resumed, Hornchurch continued to push forward with George Saunders doing well to tee up Nash who sent a left-footed shot against the crossbar.

But, unusually, Hornchurch could not find a way through and ultimately had to settle for a share of the spoils.

Jordan Adeyemi made his debut as a substitute against Whitehawk at the weekend, with left-back Michael O'Donoghue joining the club on Monday.