Search

Recorder letters: community clean up, ABBA night, climate change, visa service fees and more.

PUBLISHED: 12:00 25 August 2019

Burke Secondary Modern School circa 1948

Burke Secondary Modern School circa 1948

Archant

Letters, contributions and comments sent in from Recorder readers this week.

Were you in the 1948 class of Burke?

Frank Mead, full address supplied, writes:

Burke Secondary Modern School, class of Mr Golding, circa 1948.

I am not in the photo, but my wife to be (at the time) Valerie Webster, is second row from top, fourth from the right.

It takes a community to keep things looking good

Cllr Stephanie Nunn, Elm Park ward, writes:

I would like to respond to the anonymous person who wrote about Elm Park last week. Yes I saw the armchair on the footpath and yes it was pointed out to me by another resident. I reported it as a fly tip and last time I looked it had moved in to the front garden. I hope by now it has gone.

If dog owners do not clear up after their pets, it is not the dogs' fault. This can be reported online or to me to get it cleared up.

I agree some people need to trim their hedges so people can walk along the footpath easily.

Please contact me so we can try and resolve these issues in Ambleside Avenue.

By contrast, I had an email last week from a resident who said he had lived in Elm Park for 45 years and it had never looked so good.

Thanks for the ABBA night of fun

Lesley Dunn, Mallard Close, Cranham, writes:

Brookside Theatre Romford, you may be changing your seating to raked which will be amazing but please don't ever change the great mix of shows you have on.

We went to see 'Gimme Abba' on Saturday and what a treat that was!

With their 20th year tour this flamboyant group entertained an excited crowd of obvious Abba fans.

With so much treasured material everyone joined in with the well versed lyrics, bringing back memories of one of the Worlds most successful bands in our little piece of Romford.

There were some special fans in the audience who were thrilled to be asked onto the stage and join them for a number; it was truly heartwarming.

With many costume changes they had everyone being 'Dancing Queens' in the aisles and we definitely said "Thank you for the Music" that night.

Climate change is not a new thing

Cllr David Durant, Rainham and Wennington Independent Residents Group, writes:

Ian Pirie concedes, "it goes without saying that climate change is all about the heat of the sun", but then makes a leap of faith to say a tiny fraction of man made carbon dioxide emissions will cause a 1 Celsius temperature rise that threatens the future of the planet (Recorder letters, last week)!

It's just silly, because many things determine climate (eg water vapour is a far more significant greenhouse gas, so let's ban kettles!) and because man made emissions are only a tiny fraction of naturally occurring and variable carbon dioxide (about .04 per cent of the atmosphere) which means its easily eclipsed by natural variations and because life on earth prefers a warmer climate.

Mr Pirie also claims as temperature is rising despite heat from the sun falling this is evidence (it isn't) increases in temperature is caused by increases in carbon dioxide.

Ironically however, this is an argument for man made global warming because mankind will need man made heat to survive 'a little ice age' following decreases in heat from the sun!

The fact is, as Mr J M Branch rightly said there has always been changes in climate and extreme weather (Recorder letters, last week). Indeed even Noah said, "it never used to flood like this when I was a boy"!

Campaign to stop visa service fees

Cllr Barry Muggglestone, Elm Park ward, writes:

The Royal British Legion is campaigning to stop the extremely high visa charges for those Commonwealth veterans who want to stay on the UK.

The UK has an increasing reliance on Commonwealth personnel each year. Presently, if Commonwealth personnel have served a minimum of four years in the Armed Forces and upon leaving the military want to continue to live in the country they have served, they face a visa fee of £2,349 per person or £4,778 per couple without children.

The Stop the Service Charge campaign calls for visa fees to be abolished for Commonwealth personnel and their families who have served for four years and wish to stay in the UK.

If you'd like to support this campaign please write to your MP or online to britishlegion.org.uk/get-involved/things-to-do/campaigns-policy-and research/campaigns/Commonwealth-personnel-visa-fees

You may also want to watch:

People's wishes should decide

Mr W Ramsay, Stephen Avenue, Rainham, writes:

Readers may have been confused by my letter in last week's paper as it appeared under a heading saying 'People's interests should matter' that was contrary to what the letter said, which was that it should be their wishes that decide things.

If the difference between the two is not generally understood, it certainly is by politicians, including local ones, and the difference, put bluntly, is power - the power of decision, and how far it is held by those represented as opposed to those who represent them.

This is because, as my previous letter said, wishes have to be discovered whereas interests can be decided on people's behalf, as is the normal practice.

As regards the acquaintance of local politicians with this distinction, I speak from experience of the Residents' Association that covers my locality, whose representatives are, I would say, divided on the matter.

It may be recalled that some weeks back (letters June 14), your regular contributor Terence Matthews, who has long been associated with the group, suggested it was a merit of RA councillors that, as they have no whipping system, they can 'vote as they wish, on the facts'.

This represents one strand of opinion - the other is that they should vote as residents wish.

If the latter approach became normal practice, and not merely locally, political representation would be transformed, and the ideas of Thomas Paine would finally succeed those of Edmund Burke, but then most of those who involve themselves in politics would not regard it as in their interests, and accordingly would rather the distinction between wishes and interests is not widely appreciated.

Nick Rattre, Chadwell Heath, full address supplied, writes:

I was admitted to Queen's Hospital on July 27, 2019. I was really unwell.

I am a very anxious patient but throughout my stay there were certain members of staff who I feel deserve recognition for the treatment towards me which led to my speedy recovery.

They are Ellen who worked alongside clinician Dr Banerjee, male nurse June and his female colleague nurse Juna.

Also Zara (I call her the dinner lady) who was particularly accommodating for my nutritional needs.

I would like to thank you all for your professionalism, care and support and I hope that BHRUHT recoginise you all as much as I do. Good luck to you all.

Nature truly is a wonderful thing

Terence F Matthews LL B (Hons), Clement Way, Upminster, writes:

The letter by Ian Pirie (Recorder letters, last week) is a typical statement by fanatical climate change, project fear members. Serious climate change has taken place over the millions of years the world has existed.

The last ice age brought the Arctic ice right down to Havering, where I live. It melted and the sea rose over this area.

As the world cooled again and ice built up in the pole regions the sea level dropped to leave dry land in this area.

In 1935 Kent was under water (I have the photos to prove it).

I also remember the smog of the early 1950s.

The misleading statements that icebergs melting will cause sea levels to rise is a lie.

If you have a ship weighing 20,000 tons, it displaces 20,000 tons of water. If you have a iceberg weighing 20,000 tons, guess what, it displaces 20,000 tons of water.

Only snow and ice on land melting makes any difference to sea levels.

As for CO2 emissions, when are these climate change people going to realise that the 7.7 billion people and the billions of mammals living on our world produce CO2 every time they breath out.

The only way to reduce CO2 emissions is to reduce our worlds human and animal population.

As this would seem to be impossible, it is essential that for every tree felled at least two are planted and the logging of the worlds rain forests stopped, even if it needs armed force to do it. Without trees and other oxygen producing plants we all die.

Nature is a wonderful thing, with one species relying on another to exist.

Hold your own walk for charity

Gaby Roslin, BBC broadcaster, Bowel Cancer UK supporter, writes:

As someone who loves to walk, I'm proud to support Bowel Cancer UK's Walk Together fundraiser. Every 15 minutes someone is diagnosed with bowel cancer.

Walk Together is a sponsored walk.

You can join London's five mile walk on Saturday, September 14, take on a virtual walk at your own pace, or plan your own special Walk Together in your area.

Sign up to Walk Together to receive a fundraising pack to

hold your own memorable walk and help ensure a future where nobody dies of bowel cancer: bowelcanceruk.org.uk/walktogether

Most Read